Q: Limit on a moon's orbital radius due to sun's gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses a Wikipedia article about a law that explains the limits on a moon's orbital radius due to the sun's gravitational influence. The law is named after a person and also known as the Hill sphere. The conversation also mentions a simulation that demonstrates the effects of the sun's influence on Lagrangian points and the moon's orbit. The purpose of the simulation is to explore the amount of dark matter that the sun may have captured in its orbit around the Milky Way center.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I recently came across a Wikipedia article about somebody's (?) law regarding limits on a moon's orbital radius because the sun's gravitational influence is greater than the planet's at some distance from the planet. As I recall, the law had two different names associated with it. In addition to the obvious relationship (shown below) for the values when the gravitational forces on the moon are equal for the sun and the planet, there was a useful diagram showing this effect together with consideration of the sun's influence on the Lagrangian points, L1 and L2.
(rp/rm)2 = Ms/Mp, where
rp is the distance between sun and planet
rm is the distance planet and moon
Ms is the mass of the sun
Mp is the mass of the planet

Unfortunately I did not take notes, and now I can not find that article. Can anyone help me? Does anyone know a name of this law?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Janus said:
The Hill sphere:
Hi Janus:

Thank you very much for your prompt help.

Regards,
Buzz

In a prograde direction, the Moon can be almost twice as far and still orbit the Earth. In a retrograde direction, it can go much farther than that. But in either case, its well short of the Hill Sphere.

Try it yourself. This simulation will run in your web browser. Press [>] on the Time Step interface to play. If the screen gets too cluttered, press C for clear.

http://orbitsimulator.com/gravitySimulatorCloud/simulations/1446088723620_outermost_moons.html

120 objects orbit the Earth in with semi-major axes evenly-spaced between 400,000 - 1,600,000 km. The green ones orbit in a prograde direction. The red ones are retrograde. The blue one is for scale. It orbits at the Moon's distance, but it is massless, so it does not influence the simulation.

The frame is constantly rotated to keep the Sun above the top of the screen, as the phases indicate. So the Earth / L1 is above the Earth, and L2 is below Earth. Particles that escape do so through the L1 and L2 regions.

If the Moon were not massless in this simulation, it would destabilize all prograde orbits external to its own. Some retrograde ones would still exist. To try, press E for edit, and change the Moon's mass to 0.0123 Em (Earth masses). Pause the simulation before making the edit.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
tony873004 said:
This simulation will run in your web browser.
Hi tony:

Thanks for your post.

The simulation page you cited is quite interesting. Although moon-to-moon interactions are not applicable, the simulation is actually more relevant to another thread
than I expected it to be. I get it that retrograde motion of the moon reduces it's velocity around the sun, while prograde increases it.

In the thread I cited above, the"moon" is a DM particle, the "planet" is the sun, and the "sun" is the mass at and near the center of the Milky Way. There I am seeking help exploring how much DM our sun may have gravitationally captured in its orbit around the Milky Way center.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is the limit on a moon's orbital radius due to the sun's gravity?

The limit on a moon's orbital radius due to the sun's gravity is known as the Hill sphere. This is the maximum distance from a planet or moon where its gravitational force is stronger than the gravitational force of the sun.

2. How is the Hill sphere calculated?

The Hill sphere is calculated using the formula: rH = a(1-e)(m/3M)1/3, where rH is the Hill radius, a is the semi-major axis of the moon's orbit, e is the eccentricity of the moon's orbit, m is the mass of the moon, and M is the mass of the sun.

3. What factors can affect the Hill sphere of a moon?

The Hill sphere of a moon can be affected by the mass and distance of the moon from its planet, as well as the mass and distance of the planet from the sun. Other factors such as the eccentricity of the moon's orbit and the presence of other bodies in the system can also have an impact on the Hill sphere.

4. What happens if a moon's orbital radius exceeds the Hill sphere?

If a moon's orbital radius exceeds the Hill sphere, it will eventually be pulled out of orbit and begin to orbit the sun instead of its planet. This can result in the moon becoming a co-orbiting object or being ejected from the system entirely.

5. Is the Hill sphere a hard limit for a moon's orbital radius?

No, the Hill sphere is not a hard limit for a moon's orbital radius. It is simply an approximation and there are many other factors that can affect a moon's orbit. Additionally, the Hill sphere can change over time due to changes in the mass or distance of the moon, planet, or sun.