[Q]Different interpretation of same wavefucntion.

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of a wavefunction in terms of different aspects. It is mentioned that some argue that a wavefunction can represent both a momentum eigenstate and a superposition of all momentum eigenstates. However, others argue that if a state is a momentum eigenstate, then measurement of momentum should give the exact eigenvalue. The speaker shares their personal viewpoint of thinking of the wavefunction as the underlying math that leads to the position space probability density function.
good_phy
Hi

Is it possible that same wavefuction described by math can be interpreted to different

aspect?

For instance, Some wrote wave function as same as momentum eigenstate which is

normalized

But he seemed claim that it is not momentum eigenstate even mathmetical formula is same

And he assumed it is in superposition of all momentum eigenstate in oder to find probability which eigenstate is chosen after momentum measurement

Is it possible? I know if current state is momentum eigenstate and we measure momemtum,

we must get same momentum as same as eigenvalue of that eigenstate and measurement

can not change current state.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, could you post the exact argument given by this person? I agree, if it is a momentum eigenstate, measurement of momentum should give the exact eigenvalue...

I usually try to think of the wave function as the math that leads to the position space probability density function psi^2. I can think in spatial coordinates very well, so I think of psi^2 as the fundamental thing while I treat the underlying stuff as crazy math. I'm sure I'm missing something with this viewpoint, but that's how I visualize a wave function.

Related to [Q]Different interpretation of same wavefucntion.

1. What is a wavefunction and why is it important?

A wavefunction is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a system. It is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of particles on a microscopic level and understand the fundamental laws of nature.

2. Can the same wavefunction have different interpretations?

Yes, the same wavefunction can have different interpretations depending on the specific context or experiment being conducted. This is because the interpretation of a wavefunction is dependent on the observer and their measurement apparatus.

3. How can different interpretations of the same wavefunction affect scientific understanding?

Different interpretations of the same wavefunction can lead to different conclusions and understanding of the underlying principles of quantum mechanics. This can result in varying theories and explanations for the same phenomenon, making it challenging to fully understand and predict the behavior of particles.

4. What are some examples of different interpretations of the same wavefunction?

Some examples of different interpretations of the same wavefunction include the Copenhagen interpretation, which states that the wavefunction collapses upon measurement, and the Many-Worlds interpretation, which suggests that every measurement outcome creates a new parallel universe.

5. How do scientists determine which interpretation of a wavefunction is correct?

There is no definitive way to determine which interpretation of a wavefunction is correct, as they are all based on theoretical and philosophical perspectives. Scientists often rely on experimental evidence and mathematical models to support their chosen interpretation, but the debate and exploration of different interpretations continue to be a topic of interest in the scientific community.