Q&A on Electrical Connections, 100 Amp Wiring, Marx Generator & Capacitors

In summary, Kevin is asking about how to make an electrical connection or how to switch the electrons to be only negative or only positive. He is also looking for information on high amp wiring and safety equipment. He is not interested in making a marx generator. The first question does not make sense, the second question is not high at all, and the third question is not something that he can do. The fourth question is about capacitors, and the fifth question is about a setup where he can use a generalized battery to pulse energy through the line whenever it completely recharges.]
KevinS20
Hi, everyone I am new around here and was wondering if anybody could answer some basic questions for me?

1. I was wondering how you would make an electrical connection or for example a direct connect from a battery to switch the electrons to be only negative or only positive.

2. If you have any industrial websites or the such I need to find very high amp wiring and safety equipment. Around 100 amp wiring.

3. I didn't know if you would know how to make a marx generator, it basically uses a multiple capacitor bank and air or any gas basically to arc them when turned on, thus making a sort of pulse type energy.

4. Where could I possibly find capacitors that are specifically made for very rapid discharge/recharge?

5. And what kind of setup would I have to have to basically use a let's say a generalized battery and then have the marx generator pulse energy through the line whenever it completely recharges?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
KevinS20 said:
1. I was wondering how you would make an electrical connection or for example a direct connect from a battery to switch the electrons to be only negative or only positive.
That question doesn't make any sense to me. Electrons are negatively charged.
2. If you have any industrial websites or the such I need to find very high amp wiring and safety equipment. Around 100 amp wiring.
100 amps is not high at all. You can get such wires at any decent hardware store. Are you confusing amps and volts?
3. I didn't know if you would know how to make a marx generator, it basically uses a multiple capacitor bank and air or any gas basically to arc them when turned on, thus making a sort of pulse type energy.
Googling turns up a lot of info, but I suggest that without a high level of knowledge of the subject, you not even attempt it. There is a very real chance of death if you have a problem.

Welcome to PF, Kevin.
If your first question means what I think it does, as to reversing the polarity to a load, then the following diagram might help. It's the circuit that I use to make a DC motor reversible without having to swap the battery connections.
"[IMG[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Q&A on Electrical Connections, 100 Amp Wiring, Marx Generator & Capacitors

1. What is the difference between 100 amp wiring and regular wiring?

100 amp wiring refers to a type of wiring that is capable of carrying up to 100 amps of electrical current. This type of wiring is typically used for larger appliances and electrical systems, such as air conditioners and electric ranges. Regular wiring, on the other hand, is designed to carry a lower amount of current and is used for smaller household appliances and lighting fixtures.

2. What is a Marx generator and how does it work?

A Marx generator is a type of high voltage pulse generator that is used to produce short but powerful electrical pulses. It works by charging a series of capacitors in parallel and then discharging them in series through a spark gap. This results in a high voltage pulse that can be used for various applications, such as in particle accelerators and in testing high voltage equipment.

3. How do you safely connect electrical connections?

To safely connect electrical connections, it is important to first ensure that the power supply is turned off. Then, carefully strip the insulation from the wires and twist them together, making sure that the bare wires are fully connected. The connection can then be secured with wire nuts or electrical tape. Finally, the connection should be tested to ensure that it is secure and there are no exposed wires.

4. What are capacitors and how are they used in electrical systems?

Capacitors are electronic components that store and release electrical energy. They are commonly used in electrical systems to regulate voltage, filter out unwanted frequencies, and store energy for later use. They are also used in conjunction with other components, such as resistors and inductors, to create various electrical circuits.

5. How can I determine the appropriate size of capacitor for my electrical system?

The appropriate size of capacitor for an electrical system depends on the specific application and the desired results. It is important to consider factors such as the voltage and frequency of the system, as well as the capacitance and tolerance of the capacitor. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to a capacitor sizing chart to determine the most suitable size for your specific needs.