Q&A: LIGO Gravitational Wave Detection

In summary, the two signals detected at LIGO appear to be consistent with the predictions of the theory of general relativity, but more data is needed to confirm this. The Livingston detector detected the signal 7 milliseconds after the Hanford detector, which suggests that the waves may travel at a different speed than predicted.
Cuboctonion
I have a couple of questions regarding the new detection of signals believed to be gravitational waves at LIGO

1. Two similar signals were detected at both facilities. Why does the Livingston signal appear to be weaker than the Hanford signal?

2. The signal in Livingston was reported to have been detected 7 milliseconds after the Hanford signal. How can this be possible if gravitational waves are supposed to travel at the speed of light? Is there just a margin of error involved, or does this imply that g. waves actually propagate at a different speed than predicted?

Physics news on Phys.org
The detectors have different orientations, so their responses to gravitational waves from a particular direction are different. Think of a wooden bead on a straight wire as a water wave washes over it. If the wire is mounted vertically the bead will bob up and down. If it's mounted horizontally and perpendicular to the wave front it won't even twitch. Anything in between will respond by different amounts. This is analogous to what's happening with the LIGO detectors.

A signal propagating at the speed of light could produce a delay between 0 (if it travels perpendicular to the line between the detectors) and 10ms (if it travels parallel to the line between the detectors). I gather the observations put a hard upper limit of 1.7c on the speed of gravitational waves, and a lower limit below c. This is consistent with a velocity of c. Also there is no dispersion measured, which is difficult to explain unless they travel at c without dumping everything back to Maxwell. So, evidence, but not yet conclusive. More events and more detectors will improve the data in the future.

Hello Cub8, :welcome:

How far does light travel in 7 ms ?

Ibix,
Thanks for your explanation. That actually makes a lot of sense the way you put it. I think I was originally thinking of it as being either perfectly vertical or horizontal without taking into account all of the possibilities in between!

One thing I still don't understand though.. You mention the figure 1.7c, and this is something I keep seeing, but you say that if the wave propagates at 1.7c it is still consistent with the velocity of c. (Also, that there could be a lower limit less than c)... If gravitational waves are expected to travel at c, how can it travel at 1.7 c and still be considered to be traveling at the speed of light? Or, in the same way, how could it go slower than c but still be considered to be consistent with the velocity of c? Also, how can anything be said to travel faster than c?

BvU said:
Hello Cub8, :welcome:

How far does light travel in 7 ms ?

Thank you BvU!

My quick estimation was about 1300 miles, compared to about 1860 miles from Hanford to Livingston (is that about right?), but mostly I was going off the figure of 1.7c I keep seeing for the idea that the supposed g. wave was not traveling at precisely the speed of light.

The experimenters have a ##\Delta t\over \Delta x## with uncertainties. If the source is on the extension of line between the observatories you expect a big ##\Delta t##, if it is on a perpendicular you expect zero.

I don't think anyone is expecting the speed to be anything other than c. But we don't like to assume and there has been the odd upset over the years. :biggrin:

This experiment is not telling us that the speed is 1.7c, only that it is not greater than 1.7c. The difference in arrival times is proportional to the extra distance the waves traveled to reach the second detector - that is, how much further from the event the second detector was. That extra distance could be anything up to 10 light milliseconds, the straight line distance beteeen the detectors, depending on the angle the waves came in at. The actual delay then puts an upper bound on the speed - in this case 10/7=1.4c. I'm working with rounded numbers and not accounting for errors at all, which is why I'm not getting the more conservative 1.7c. But that's basically where the limit comes from.

Related to Q&A: LIGO Gravitational Wave Detection

1. What is LIGO and what does it stand for?

LIGO stands for Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory. It is a large-scale physics experiment that aims to detect gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of space-time predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does LIGO detect gravitational waves?

LIGO uses two identical detectors, located in different parts of the United States, to measure tiny ripples in space-time caused by passing gravitational waves. Each detector consists of two 4-kilometer-long perpendicular arms with mirrors at the ends. As a gravitational wave passes through the detector, it causes the arms to slightly stretch and compress, which is detected by the laser beams bouncing between the mirrors.

3. What is the significance of LIGO's detection of gravitational waves?

The detection of gravitational waves by LIGO is a major scientific breakthrough that confirms one of the last remaining predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also opens up a new window into the universe, allowing us to observe and study cosmic phenomena that were previously invisible to us.

4. How were the first gravitational waves detected by LIGO?

In September 2015, LIGO detected gravitational waves from the merger of two black holes, which occurred 1.3 billion years ago. The waves were detected by both LIGO detectors, located in Louisiana and Washington, within milliseconds of each other, providing strong evidence for their existence.

5. What is the potential impact of LIGO's discoveries?

LIGO's discoveries have the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe and provide answers to some of the biggest questions in astrophysics, such as the nature of black holes, the origin of the universe, and the nature of space-time. It also has practical applications in the development of new technologies, such as more precise clocks and improved communications systems.