Python: Retrieve Function Name Without Execution

In summary, retrieving a function name in Python allows you to access and manipulate the function as an object, which can be useful for various tasks such as debugging, logging, or creating decorators. You can use the built-in function __name__ to retrieve the name of a function without executing it. This function returns a string containing the name of the function. Additionally, you can use the __name__ function from within the function itself to retrieve its name, which can be useful for creating self-referencing functions or for debugging purposes. It is also possible to retrieve the name of a function from an imported module by accessing the attribute __name__, which contains the name of the function as a string. However, it is not recommended to use the
zeion

Homework Statement

Hi there,

I just have a quick one here..
Is there a way to bring the NAME of a function? Not execute it?

Like if I had

def apple():
return

Can I get it to print "apple" somehow?
Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Technology news on Phys.org
Nevermind I found the answer.
In case anyone else is curious you can do

print <function>.func_name

Related to Python: Retrieve Function Name Without Execution

1. What is the purpose of retrieving a function name in Python?

Retrieving a function name in Python allows you to access and manipulate the function as an object, which can be useful for various tasks such as debugging, logging, or creating decorators.

2. How can I retrieve a function name without executing it?

You can use the built-in function __name__ to retrieve the name of a function without executing it. This function returns a string containing the name of the function.

3. Can I retrieve the name of a function from within the function itself?

Yes, you can use the __name__ function from within the function to retrieve its name. This can be useful for creating self-referencing functions or for debugging purposes.

4. Is it possible to retrieve the name of a function from an imported module?

Yes, you can retrieve the name of a function from an imported module by accessing the attribute __name__, which contains the name of the function as a string.

5. Can I use the retrieved function name as a variable?

Yes, since the function name is returned as a string, you can use it as a variable in your code. However, it is not recommended to use the function name as a variable as it may cause confusion and make your code less readable.