Python program to verify primes

In summary: It would be better to just have "if j != 0:".if i > x/2: print(str(x) + ' is a prime.') time.sleep(5) breakIn summary, the programmer has written a program that verifies if an integer is prime but has two issues. The first issue is that it only works for primes up to around the size of 30000~. The second issue is that the code is ugly and difficult to read
llstelle

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to write a program which asks for an integer input, then determines if the input is a prime or not.

I wrote a program but I have 2 issues:
1) It works well for primes up to around the size of 30000~, then above that (I just tried 65537, for a weak upper bound) it just freezes... I'm guessing Python has some memory allocation issue here? Is there a solution?
2) I don't like my code. It looks ugly. Having so many nested conditionals is not elegant. And so on. Are there any tips to improve what I have written? Thanks!

2. The attempt at a solution

Here's my code...

Code:
#This program verifies if an integer is prime.

import time

x = int(raw_input('Please enter an integer.\n'))
if x == 2:
    print ('2 is a prime')
elif x < 2:
    print (str(x) + ' is not a prime.')
elif x > 3:
    i = 2
    while True:
        j = x%i
        if j == 0:
            print(str(x) + ' is not a prime.')
            time.sleep(5)
            break
        elif j != 0:
            if i > x/2:
                print(str(x) + ' is a prime.')
                time.sleep(5)
                break
            elif i < x/2:
                i = i+1

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
OK I solved my first question, I had a mistake with the elif conditions... Here's the new code:

Code:
#This program verifies if an integer is prime.

import time

x = int(raw_input('Please enter an integer.\n'))
if x == 2:
    print ('2 is a prime')
elif x < 2:
    print (str(x) + ' is not a prime.')
else:
    i = 2
    while True:
        j = x%i
        if j == 0:
            time.sleep(5)
            break
        elif j != 0:
            if i > x/2:
                print(str(x) + ' is a prime.')
                time.sleep(5)
                break
            else:
                i = i+1

But I'll still appreciate if someone can let me know what improvements can be made. (:

Instead of "time.sleep(5)", you could use "raw_input('press enter to exit program')" to allow the user to see the results until enter is pressed before the dos console window closes.

The next two possible changes are related to knowledge of prime numbers, not of programming methods.

You could change "if i > x/2" to " if i*i > x", since there's no need to test for any prime number greater than the square root of x.

You could add a check for all even numbers, by replacing "elif x < 2", with "elif x < 2 or 0 == x%2", then start with "i = 3", and use "i = i + 2". This takes a bit more code, but reduces the number of iterations. I don't know if this would be considered more "elegant", since it's a bit more code, and modern computers are so fast that speed isn't an issue in this case.

Last edited:
Ah thanks for the explanations! It was really helpful. I overlooked the divisibility argument and I'll try implementing the code with reduced iterations as an exercise.

Instead of "time.sleep(5)", you could use "raw_input('press enter to exit program')" to allow the user to see the results until enter is pressed before the dos console window closes.

Oh, awesome! I've been annoyed with the time.sleep(5) for a while now, I should have thought of this, thanks!

Code:
        if j == 0:
            time.sleep(5)
            break
        elif j != 0:

That test for j != 0 seems redundant.

Related to Python program to verify primes

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself.

2. How does the Python program verify if a number is prime?

The program uses a loop to check if the number is divisible by any number between 2 and the number itself. If it is not divisible by any number, then it is a prime number.

3. What is the time complexity of the Python program for verifying primes?

The time complexity of the program is O(n), as it needs to check all numbers from 2 to the given number to determine if it is prime or not.

4. Can the Python program verify large prime numbers?

Yes, the program can verify large prime numbers. However, it may take longer to run as the number of iterations needed to check for primality increases with the size of the number.

5. Is there a more efficient way to verify primes in Python?

Yes, there are more efficient algorithms such as the Sieve of Eratosthenes or the Miller-Rabin primality test that can be used to verify primes in Python.