[Python] Custom tick marks in matplotlib

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of matplotlib to add a specific tick on the x-axis to label a particular value. The command "set_xticks" can be used to add these ticks at any desired location. However, when using subplots, the command must be applied at the subplot level.
sk1105
I've looked around for this and so far haven't found anything close enough to what I'm after.

In matplotlib, I want to get a specific tick on the x-axis to label a particular value. I know how to use axvline to get a vertical line marking that point, which is good, and I know how to add annotations onto the graph itself, but is there a way of getting an additional tick mark at that particular x value, in addition to the regular marks?

To add some context, I have a graph of the electron-positron annihilation cross-section as a function of collider energy, and I want to mark the mass of the Z boson to point out the resonant behaviour.

Technology news on Phys.org
The command is set_xticks([x1,x2,x3]). The list can have the ticks wherever you want. Here is some code:

Code:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
x=[1,2,3,4,5]
y=[1,4,9,16,25]

plt.figure()
ax1 = plt.axes()
ax1.plot(x,y)
ax1.set_xticks([0.0,0.37, 1.85, 4.23])
plt.show()

Thanks, that does what I want...as well as something I don't want. It completely ruins my subplots. I had 4 plots on a 2x2 grid, and adding that command causes it to show only my fourth subplot, as a full-window figure. I've tried putting the command in a few different places to no avail. Is there a special procedure when using this with subplots?

sk1105 said:
Thanks, that does what I want...as well as something I don't want. It completely ruins my subplots. I had 4 plots on a 2x2 grid, and adding that command causes it to show only my fourth subplot, as a full-window figure. I've tried putting the command in a few different places to no avail. Is there a special procedure when using this with subplots?

Sure, you just need to apply the command at the subplot level, like this:
Code:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
x=[1,2,3,4,5]
y=[1,4,9,16,25]

plt.figure()
ax1 = plt.subplot(2,2,1)
ax1.plot(x,y)
ax1.set_xticks([0.0,0.74, 1.85, 4.23])
ax2 = plt.subplot(2,2,2)
ax2.plot(x,y)
ax2.set_xticks([0.0,0.74, 1.85, 4.23])
ax3 = plt.subplot(2,2,3)
ax3.plot(x,y)
ax3.set_xticks([0.0,0.74, 1.85, 4.23])
ax4 = plt.subplot(2,2,4)
ax4.plot(x,y)
ax4.set_xticks([0.0,0.74, 1.85, 4.23])
plt.show()

Ah that has solved all my problems. Thanks very much!

Related to [Python] Custom tick marks in matplotlib

1. How do I change the tick marks in a matplotlib graph?

To change the tick marks in a matplotlib graph, you can use the set_xticks() and set_yticks() methods. These methods take in an array of values that you want to use as tick marks.

2. Can I customize the appearance of my tick marks in matplotlib?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your tick marks in matplotlib. You can use the tick_params() method to change the size, color, and style of your tick marks.

3. How do I set a different interval for my tick marks in matplotlib?

You can set a different interval for your tick marks in matplotlib by using the set_xticks() and set_yticks() methods. These methods allow you to specify the tick mark values and the interval between them.

4. Can I add custom labels to my tick marks in matplotlib?

Yes, you can add custom labels to your tick marks in matplotlib. You can use the set_xticklabels() and set_yticklabels() methods to provide a list of labels for each tick mark value.

5. Is it possible to have non-numerical tick marks in matplotlib?

Yes, it is possible to have non-numerical tick marks in matplotlib. You can use the set_xticklabels() and set_yticklabels() methods to provide a list of labels for each tick mark value, even if they are not numerical values.