PWM controlled fan responds unexpectedly

• Thread starter Artlav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Pwm
In summary, the fan does not always change speed in the same way the duty cycle does. The lowest RPM is at about 5% of POT's range, and goes slightly higher below that. Between 60% and about 80% the RPM climbs steadily with the duty cycle. At 60% there is the maximum RPM. Between 80% and 90% it increases again, but at 90% it's less than at 60%. And 90% to 100% it decreases again.
Artlav
Hello.

I'm trying to control the speed of a fan (12V cpu cooler) with PWM (555 + MOSFET).
Should be quite straightforward, but i noticed that the speed of the fan does not seem to always change in the same way the duty cycle does.

With an optical RPM meter I'm seeing that the lowest RPM is at about 5% of POT's range, and goes slightly higher below that.
In the 5%-60% range the RPM climbs steadily with the duty cycle.
At 60% there is the maximum RPM.
Between 60% and about 80% it decreases.
Then between 80% and 90% it increases again, but at 90% it's less than at 60%.
And 90% to 100% it decreases again.

Even better, that 60% peak is higher that the RPM of the fan just hooked up to the 12V directly, while 100% is less than that.

An LED hooked up to the same controller seem to change brightness linearly.

What is causing such a strange behaviour?
Or rather, how to fix it?

Schematics:
pwm_fan.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds odd indeed, with those resistors and pot your duty cycle should be within ~5-50%.

Do you have access to an oscilloscope? I would have a look at the gate-source voltage of your MOSFET to see what it's actually doing. It's probably hard to judge visually with the LED if there's any problem with your switching waveform.

Edit:
I didn't notice the charging diode, duty cycle should be within ~5-95%.

Last edited:
Your fan is no ordinary motor, it is a brush-less DC motor with some controller chips on board. So, I am not sure its safe/good to PWM control it. The Odd behavior has got to do something with the BLDC motor controller on your fan.

The electronics in that fan motor is in all likelihood completely "dumb" and only handles commutation:
AVR442: PC Fan Control using ATtiny13

You might have a super weird fan motor but the PWM scheme in your circuit has always worked for me.

You could try a power MOSFET charging an electrolytic capacitor from the + rail. Your motor could be connected across that electrolytic.

You can get the same effect by connecting an electrolytic across your motor terminals in the arrangement you have. Current pulses may be higher than anticipated.

I_am_learning said:
brush-less DC motor with some controller chips on board.
Looks like that's what the problem is - the fan is too "smart".
I tried a "dumber" fan with only 2 wires, and everything works nicely.
The new fan won't start spinning unless given nearly full power, but once spinning it can be throttled up and down cleanly.

So, once again - if it does not make sense, look elsewhere :)
Thanks all.

Related to PWM controlled fan responds unexpectedly

1. Why is my PWM controlled fan not responding to input signals?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the fan's PWM signal is not being received properly. Ensure that the fan is properly connected to the PWM output and that the signal is being sent correctly. Another possibility is that the fan's speed settings are not configured correctly. Check the fan's manual or control software to make sure the speed settings are properly adjusted.

2. Can a faulty PWM controller cause unexpected fan behavior?

Yes, a faulty PWM controller can cause unexpected fan behavior. If the controller is not sending the correct signals to the fan, it may not respond as expected. It is important to regularly check and maintain the PWM controller to ensure proper functionality.

3. How can I troubleshoot unexpected fan speed changes when using PWM control?

The first step in troubleshooting unexpected fan speed changes is to check the fan's speed settings and make sure they are configured correctly. If the settings are correct, the issue may be with the fan's motor or the PWM controller. Try using a different fan or controller to see if the issue persists.

4. Can PWM frequency affect the fan's response?

Yes, the PWM frequency can affect the fan's response. Different fans may have different optimal frequencies, so it is important to check the fan's manual or specifications to determine the recommended frequency. Using the wrong frequency can result in unexpected fan behavior.

5. How can I prevent unexpected fan behavior when using PWM control?

To prevent unexpected fan behavior, it is important to regularly check and maintain the PWM controller and fan. Make sure the fan's speed settings are properly configured and that the PWM signal is being sent correctly. Additionally, using a fan with a high-quality motor and a properly functioning PWM controller can help prevent unexpected behavior.