PV diagrams for ideal gas: Finding Work Done

In summary, the conversation discusses a graph of pressure in kPa against volume in L, with a straight line connecting points A and B. The false origin is at 200kPa, 0L. The question is asking for the work done by the gas, which can be calculated using the formula W=pV. There is a discrepancy between the calculated work and the value given in the textbook, and the solution involves finding the area of a trapezoid using the formula (L1 + L2)/2 x W.
slaw155

Homework Statement

Imagine a graph of pressure in kPa (y-axis) against volume in L (x-axis). There is a straight line moving from point A at 300kPa, 0.5L to point B at 500kPa, 1L. The false origin on this graph is 200kPa, 0L. What is the work done by the gas?

Homework Equations

W=pV

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that work is area under graph so its basically the area of a triangle plus area of trapezium. But this gives work = 100J but textbook says 200J. Where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
See the picture . You need the blue area from the really zero pressure.

ehild

Attachments

• PVW.JPG
    PVW.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 522
slaw155 said:

Homework Statement

Imagine a graph of pressure in kPa (y-axis) against volume in L (x-axis). There is a straight line moving from point A at 300kPa, 0.5L to point B at 500kPa, 1L. The false origin on this graph is 200kPa, 0L. What is the work done by the gas?

Homework Equations

W=pV

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that work is area under graph so its basically the area of a triangle plus area of trapezium. But this gives work = 100J but textbook says 200J. Where have I gone wrong?
Use the formula for area of a trapezoid: (L1 + L2)/2 x W

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
Use the formula for area of a parallelogram: (L1 + L2)/2 x W

AM

You meant trapezoid, I think :smile:

ehild

ehild said:
You meant trapezoid, I think :smile:

ehild
Right. A trapezoid.

AM

Related to PV diagrams for ideal gas: Finding Work Done

1. What is a PV diagram for an ideal gas?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure (P) and volume (V) for an ideal gas. It helps to visualize the changes in pressure and volume as the gas undergoes different processes.

2. How is a PV diagram for an ideal gas constructed?

A PV diagram is constructed by plotting pressure on the y-axis and volume on the x-axis. The shape of the resulting curve depends on the type of process the gas undergoes, such as isothermal, isobaric, or isochoric.

3. What does the area under a PV diagram represent?

The area under a PV diagram represents the work done by the gas. The work done is equal to the product of the pressure and the change in volume, so the area under the curve gives the magnitude of this work.

4. How does temperature affect a PV diagram for an ideal gas?

According to the ideal gas law, temperature (T) is directly proportional to pressure (P) and inversely proportional to volume (V). This means that as temperature increases, the PV diagram will shift upwards and to the right, and as temperature decreases, it will shift downwards and to the left.

5. What is the significance of the shape of a PV diagram for an ideal gas?

The shape of a PV diagram for an ideal gas can provide information about the type of process the gas undergoes. For example, a horizontal line indicates a constant pressure process, while a vertical line represents a constant volume process. The slope of the curve also gives insights into the magnitude and direction of the work done by the gas.