How Is Net Work and Heat Calculated in a Thermodynamic Cycle?

In summary, the sample of an ideal gas goes through a thermodynamic cycle shown on the P-V diagram. Two of the legs are isobaric and two are isothermal. The net work done by the gas along the high pressure isobaric leg is 2PV. The net work done by the gas in one complete cycle can be found by summing the work for each leg of the cycle, taking into account the positive and negative values. The final volume for each leg can be determined from the graph. The net heat supplied to the gas in one cycle can be calculated using the formula PV ln Vc/Vb.
joemama69

Homework Statement

A sample of an ideal gas is taken through the thermodynamic cycle
shown on the P-V diagram at attached. Two of the “legs” of the cycle are
isobaric and the other two are isothermal.

a) Find the net work done by the gas along the high pressure isobaric
leg in terms of p0 and Vo.

b) Find the net work done by the gas in one complete cycle in terms of
p0 and Vo.

c) Find the net heat supplied to the gas in one cycle in terms of p0 and
Vo.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A)

W = integral fr v to 3v of Pdv = P(3v - v) = 2PV

Part B) Not sure if this is crrect do i just find the work for each leg of the of the cycle and then sum them up

Ill start with the high pressure isbaric leg and work around the cycle clockwise

Leg 1 = 2PV (Part a)

Leg 2 = not sure how to integrate this if i don't knw what the v final is... i guess I am doing this wrong

Attachments

• 3.pdf
    5.3 KB · Views: 255
Physics news on Phys.org
joemama69 said:
Part B) Not sure if this is crrect do i just find the work for each leg of the of the cycle and then sum them up

Kind of, but you have to consider that sometimes the work is positive and sometimes it's negative. Remember that work is equal to the area enclosed by the PV curve and you can adjust your positives and negatives accordingly.

Leg 2 = not sure how to integrate this if i don't knw what the v final is... i guess I am doing this wrong

You do know what the final v is because PV=nRT, and if temperature is constant, then P=C/V.

so to find the area, i woud add the first two integrals then subracts the second two.

for the second integral my book says fr a isothermal process W = nRT(ln V_B/V_A), so does that simplify to ln V_B/V_A because it is constant and nRT is essentially 1

for the third leg, the pressure does nt change but the volue does so it is nt constand, how do i find the v final fr this integral

joemama69 said:
so to find the area, i woud add the first two integrals then subracts the second two.
Yes.

for the second integral my book says fr a isothermal process W = nRT(ln V_B/V_A), so does that simplify to ln V_B/V_A because it is constant and nRT is essentially 1

How do you know nRT is 1? nRT is equal to PV, and you know PV.

for the third leg, the pressure does nt change but the volue does so it is nt constand, how do i find the v final fr this integral

You're supposed to read it from the graph. It looks like 2Vo to me.

of first off V_b is the secnd point in the cycle and V_c is the third point

W = nRT ln V_c/V_b = PV ln Vc/Vb

P(3V) = .5P(Vc) therefore Vc = 6V and Vb = 3V

W = PV ln Vc/Vb = PV ln 6V/3V = PV ln2

Related to How Is Net Work and Heat Calculated in a Thermodynamic Cycle?

1. What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure (P) and volume (V) of a gas. It shows the changes in these variables as the gas undergoes a thermodynamic process.

2. How is work calculated on a PV diagram?

Work is calculated as the area under the curve on a PV diagram. This is because work is equal to the force applied (in this case, pressure) multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied (in this case, change in volume).

3. What is the net work on a PV diagram?

The net work on a PV diagram is the sum of all the work done during a thermodynamic process. This can be calculated by finding the area enclosed by the entire curve on the diagram.

4. How is heat represented on a PV diagram?

Heat is represented by the change in temperature on a PV diagram. This can be seen as a vertical movement on the diagram, as temperature is measured on the y-axis.

5. What is the relationship between net work and heat on a PV diagram?

The relationship between net work and heat on a PV diagram is represented by the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the net work done on the system plus the heat added to the system. This can be seen on a PV diagram as the area enclosed by the entire curve, which represents the change in internal energy.