Putting together a wave function from given data

In summary, Brian attempted to solve for amplitude, wave number, angular frequency, and speed using equations 3-5, but was not successful. He then asked the community for help, and they were able to guide him through the problem.
Pyrestrike
Hi all, I've got a question I think I understand conceptually but not mathematically...

Homework Statement

A transverse sinusoidal wave on a string has a period T = 25.0 ms and travels in a negative x direction with a speed of 30.0 m/s.
At t=0, a particle on the string at x=0 has a transverse position of 2.00 cm and is traveling downward with a speed of 2.00 m/s.

So, I put together the given data as:

T = 0.025 s
v = 30.0 m/s
y' = 0.02 m
x' = 0m
t' = 0s
v(tangent) = -2.00 m/s

* the (') denotes initial condition

Homework Equations

a) What is the amplitude of the wave?
b) What is the initial phase angle?
c) What is the maximum transverse speed of the string?
d) Write the wave function for the wave.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Okay, so my initial (and really only) idea on how to tackle finding amplitude is:

EQ 1
y = A sin (kx - ωt)

where A is amplitude, k is the wave number, omega is angular frequency, and t is time. I want to use the initial conditions y', x', and t' to try and find A, since they're all given and the latter two equal 0, but I found that would make sin(0), which is undefined. From there, I really don't know if I'm even on the right track for finding A, or if there is a formula that I'm missing to help find it.

b) I would use the general expression of the above sinusoidal wave, where phi is attached to the end of the sine function. The only problem is that again A needs to the found.

c) Finding v(max) would just be using the velocity of an object in harmonic motion:

EQ 2
v = -ω A sin *(ωt + Φ)

d) This is obviously just plugging in the appropriate values into EQ 1

--

My big problem is just where to start (unless there's something wrong with my logic on the other three parts). I have an inclination that I need to solve for λ, k, and ω using the following equations:

EQ3: λ = vT
EQ4: k = (2π) / λ
EQ5: ω = (2π) / T

But I don't know how to apply them to finding A, so in the end I'm still in a confused mess. Can anyone guide me in at what I might be missing?

Thanks in advance!

--Brian

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd simply try to find the wave equation instead of going through the parts bit by bit... once you have the equation, you can simply answer all the questions...

The general wave equation is:

y = A sin (kx - ωt + phi)

you can get w immediately from T... like you showed using w = 2*pi/T. Then you can also get k, using v = w/k. v is given as -30.

so now you're left with getting A and phi.

y = A sin (kx - ωt + phi)
dy/dt = -wAcos(kx - wt + phi)

you're given y and dy/dt at t = 0, x = 0... plug into the above equations... then you have 2 equations with 2 unknowns. solve for A and phi.

Gah! Wow, I've gotten the whole "do things in order" bit by my past physics teachers that I didn't even think of that... Thanks muchly!

Related to Putting together a wave function from given data

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of a quantum mechanical system, which contains all the information about the system's physical state. It is commonly used to predict the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

2. How is a wave function put together from given data?

A wave function is constructed by combining known information about a system, such as the position and momentum of particles, with the mathematical principles of quantum mechanics. This process involves solving complex mathematical equations and can vary depending on the specific system being studied.

3. What kind of data is needed to create a wave function?

To create a wave function, data about the physical properties of a system is needed, such as the position, momentum, and energy of particles. This data can be obtained through experiments or theoretical calculations.

4. How accurate is a wave function in predicting the behavior of a system?

A wave function is a probabilistic description of a system, meaning it can only predict the likelihood of a particle's behavior rather than its exact position or momentum. However, when combined with other mathematical techniques, it can provide highly accurate predictions of a system's behavior.

5. Can a wave function be used for all types of particles?

Yes, a wave function can be used to describe the behavior of all types of particles, from subatomic particles to atoms and molecules. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of matter at the smallest scales.