Putting phase factor in amplitude in Lorentz oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical concept related to the Lorentz oscillator in solid state physics. The equation X(t) = X_0sin(-ωt+α) can be transformed into X(t) = X_0 exp(-iωt) by choosing X_0 as a complex number and putting the phase factor into the complex amplitude. This is done because it is more convenient to work with exponentials than trig functions. Taking the imaginary part of X(t) will give the actual value for the Lorentz oscillator.
Dreak
Hi there,

In my course solid state physics, there is a part about the Lorentz oscillator. At a certain part, this is written:

"X(t) = X_0sin(-ωt+α)

This changes into:

X(t) = X_0 exp(-iωt)

by choosing X_0 as a complex number and putting the phase factor into the complex amplitude."

But I just don't see how you can do/prove this mathematically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those two things aren't mathematically equivalent. They're using the Euler formula, [itex]e^{-i\omega t} = \cos(\omega t) + i \sin(-\omega t)[/itex] and making the assumption that at the end of the day, you'll take the imaginary part of X(t) to get the actual value for the Lorentz oscillator. This is done because it is often more convenient to work with exponentials than trig functions.

To answer your second question, if [itex]X_0 = |X_0|e^{i\alpha}[/itex] is complex, then you have
[tex]X(t) = |X_0|e^{i\alpha} e^{-i \omega t}[/tex]
[tex]X(t) = |X_0| e^{-i \omega t + \alpha}[/tex]
and if you take the imaginary part then you have
[tex]X(t) = |X_0| \sin(-\omega t + \alpha)[/tex]

Thanks for the clear answer! :)

Related to Putting phase factor in amplitude in Lorentz oscillator

What is the purpose of putting a phase factor in the amplitude of a Lorentz oscillator?

The phase factor in the amplitude of a Lorentz oscillator is used to account for the phase difference between the driving force and the resulting oscillation. It ensures that the amplitude and phase of the oscillation are correctly represented in the mathematical model.

How does the phase factor affect the behavior of a Lorentz oscillator?

The phase factor affects the amplitude and phase of the oscillation, which in turn affects the frequency and damping of the oscillator. It also accounts for any phase difference between the driving force and the oscillation, which can impact the overall behavior of the oscillator.

What is the mathematical formula for including a phase factor in the amplitude of a Lorentz oscillator?

The mathematical formula for including a phase factor in the amplitude of a Lorentz oscillator is A(t) = A0 cos(ωt + φ), where A0 is the maximum amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

How is the phase factor determined in a Lorentz oscillator experiment?

The phase factor can be determined in a Lorentz oscillator experiment by measuring the amplitude and phase of the resulting oscillation at different frequencies. The phase difference between the driving force and the resulting oscillation can then be calculated and used to determine the correct phase factor to include in the mathematical model.

Can the phase factor be neglected in a Lorentz oscillator model?

No, the phase factor cannot be neglected in a Lorentz oscillator model. Neglecting the phase factor would result in an incorrect representation of the amplitude and phase of the oscillation, leading to inaccurate predictions and analysis of the oscillator's behavior.