Putting pdf science textbooks with equations on to a Kindle accurately

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of converting PDF textbooks with complex equations and symbols onto a Kindle. The methods tried so far have not been successful, and the suggestion is made to contact a physics book author for advice. It is mentioned that formatting for ereaders is an art form and that converting equations to images may be a solution. The bottom line is that the best way to read PDFs on the Kindle is with its built-in PDF reader, but for larger pages, the Kindle DX may be a better option.
lgjmac
Hi guys,

I'm trying to put pdf science textbooks on to a kindle. They have difficult equations and subscripts/superscripts and pictures of atoms and things which however I try seem to become a jumble.

So far I have tried:
1. Using Calibre - dodgy results, equations handled very badly
2. Using OCR via Acrobat and Abby Finereader to make either a word doc, html file, etc - then send that to Kindle via Calibre or Amazon's convert system: didn't work, OCR seems unable to cope with symbols like chemical equilibrium or subscripts
3. Sending to Amazon with 'Convert' in the subject
4. Using Briss which crops but still they look too small and awkward
5. Using the raw pdf on the kindle in landscape mode (i cannot get past the awkward way it turns pages)

I would happily buy some software if I could be sure it could cope with algebra etc. I thought that I could convert it to LaTeX somehow but cannot find a converter from pdf...

Please help me, I'm getting desperate!
Anyone with the same problem, get in touch and hopefully we can get some expert advice on this topic!

Thanks,
Lewis

Computer science news on Phys.org
why not send a pm to benjamin crowell (bcrowell) on PF? He has a set of Physics books in PDF format that are freely downloadable from his website: lightandmatter.com

His pdf files work well on the iPad but not so well on B&N ereader (I think they have a backlevel pdf reader) as some fonts seem to be missing.

I'm a writer, and I can tell you that publishing for Kindle and other ereaders is a bit of an art form. Since the author can't know what the screen or font size is of the reader viewing their work, it is impossible to format text as one would for a regular print edition. In fact, it is a requirement that nearly all standard formatting--especially line and page breaks--be stripped before publication. The only thing that might help you is to convert all of your formulae to image files like jpeg, and keep the horizontal size within the resolution limits of the smallest Kindle screen. The last time I checked, the recommended maximum image size for the Kindle (as posted on the Amazon DTP site) is 450 pixels wide by 550 high. If you can somehow convert all of your non-standard text to images with screen capture or whatever, and then stay within those bounds, it might work out for you. I know that's not much help, but this has been my experience. There are several free ebooks on the Kindle site detailing how to properly format text and images for their products--you might want to search those out.

Here is some info that might be of interest as well: http://www.publetariat.com/book/export/html/335

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom line is that the only good way to read PDFs on the Kindle is with the Kindle's built in PDF reader. It actually works very well.

The problem is that if the pages are very big, you either are going to be very frustrated reading on a small Kindle screen or you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy the Kindle DX, which has a standard paper-sized screen.

I can understand your frustration with trying to put pdf science textbooks onto a Kindle. It can be a difficult task, especially with equations and symbols involved. I have also encountered similar issues in the past and have tried various methods to make it work.

One solution that has worked for me is using a software called LaTeX. It is a typesetting system that is commonly used in scientific and mathematical publications. It has the capability to handle equations, subscripts, and superscripts accurately. You can convert your pdf textbook into a LaTeX file and then use a converter to transfer it onto your Kindle. This may take some time and effort, but it should provide a better result compared to the methods you have tried so far.

Another option is to contact the publisher of the textbook and see if they have an electronic version specifically formatted for e-readers. This may be the easiest and most accurate solution, but it depends on whether the publisher offers this option.

I hope these suggestions help in solving your problem. Good luck!

Related to Putting pdf science textbooks with equations on to a Kindle accurately

1. How do I transfer a pdf science textbook with equations onto my Kindle?

To transfer a pdf science textbook with equations onto your Kindle, you will need to connect your Kindle to your computer using a USB cable. Then, locate the pdf file on your computer and drag and drop it into the "Documents" folder on your Kindle. Your textbook should now be accessible on your Kindle.

2. Will the equations in the pdf textbook be accurately displayed on my Kindle?

Yes, most Kindles have a high-resolution display that can accurately display equations from a pdf textbook. However, the equations may appear smaller on the Kindle screen compared to a physical textbook, so you may need to zoom in for better visibility.

3. Can I make notes or annotations on the pdf textbook on my Kindle?

Yes, most Kindles have a feature that allows you to make notes or annotations on pdf files. Simply tap and hold on the line or section you want to annotate and select the "Note" option. You can also highlight text and add notes using the Kindle's keyboard.

4. Will my Kindle be able to handle complex equations and symbols in the pdf textbook?

Yes, most Kindles have a built-in pdf reader that can handle complex equations and symbols. However, if you encounter any issues, you can try converting the pdf textbook into a Kindle-friendly format using third-party software.

5. Can I access the pdf textbook on multiple devices using my Kindle account?

Yes, if you have multiple devices linked to your Kindle account, you can access the pdf textbook on all of them. However, the formatting and display of equations may vary depending on the device being used.