Putting it all together: The Deuteron

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Deuteron
In summary, I would like to take a 'real' ODE where I have some intuition of what it represents, and take it through to eigenvalues and vectors. I chose a highly simplified model of Deuteron from earlier in the text. (later I might try the real thing)Given $ -\frac{\bar{h}^2}{2M}\nabla^2\psi +V\psi=E\psi , V=V_0 \: for\: 0\le r<a, 0 $ outsideI easily rearranged this to $ \nabla^2\psi+k_1^2\psi=0 $
ognik
I would like to take a 'real' ODE where I have some intuition of what it represents, and take it through to eigenvalues and vectors. I chose a highly simplified model of Deuteron from earlier in the text. (later I might try the real thing)

Given $ -\frac{\bar{h}^2}{2M}\nabla^2\psi +V\psi=E\psi , V=V_0 \: for\: 0\le r<a, 0 $ outside

I easily rearranged this to $ \nabla^2\psi+k_1^2\psi=0 $

At this stage the text substitutes $u(r)=r\psi(r)$ and gets the radial wave equation $ \d{^2{u}}{{r}^2}+k_1^2u=0 $

1) Despite the tempting similarity, I can't put $\nabla^2= \pd{^2{}}{{r}^2}=\d{^2{}}{{r}^2} \:for\: \psi(r) $, I know I have to transform the eqtn to spherical cords.

Pls ignore next 2 points for a while, I found a separation of variables approach that I think is what I need.

2) Laplaces eqtn in spherical form is a 3 term eqtn in $ r, \theta, \phi $. If $\psi $ was independent of both angles, I could drop the last 2 terms; probably the book does something like this - I need some help on this please?

3) Then I would be left with $ \pd{}{r}(r^2 \pd{\psi}{r}) $. Although looking promising, when I substitute $\psi=\frac{u(r)}{r}$ and do the differentiations, I do not end up with $ \d{^2{u}}{{r}^2}$ - and the last term would anyway be u/r instead of just u. Clearly I'm missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
I would like to take a 'real' ODE where I have some intuition of what it represents, and take it through to eigenvalues and vectors. I chose a highly simplified model of Deuteron from earlier in the text. (later I might try the real thing)

Given $ -\frac{\bar{h}^2}{2M}\nabla^2\psi +V\psi=E\psi , V=V_0 \: for\: 0\le r<a, 0 $ outside

I easily rearranged this to $ \nabla^2\psi+k_1^2\psi=0 $

At this stage the text substitutes $u(r)=r\psi(r)$ and gets the radial wave equation $ \d{^2{u}}{{r}^2}+k_1^2u=0 $
OK, I need some help now please, because ...

I tried a trial solution of $ \psi =R(r)T(\theta)P(\phi)$
then $\partial\phi/\partial r=R'TP; \partial\phi/\partial \theta=RT'P; \partial\phi/\partial \phi=RTP'; $
Worked this through to get: $ \nabla^2\psi=\frac{1}{R}\d{}{r}(r^2R') +\frac{1}{Tsin\theta } \d{}{\theta}(sin\theta T') + \frac{P''}{Psin^2 \theta } = 0 $

Part A:
1) This is not going to end with $\d{^2{u}}{{r}^2} +k_1 ^2u=0 $, so maybe my idea of using some sort of symmetry to drop the 2 angle terms was right after all, but I am not sure of a valid argument to do that?
- To start with, it's a square well, but we are using spherical cords., so this would make more sense to me if we were thinking of the potential as a sphere?
- The only argument I can think of is geometric, V is given as dependent on r so the V equipotentials by inspection are the set of concentric spheres, but I can't see how $\psi$ is independent of the angles?

2) Undaunted, I tried again to work just the 1st term in r, using $u=r\psi$, but got $u''=2\psi' +r\psi''$ a hint for the correct approach here please?
-------------------
Part B:
Out of interest if I continued my separation approach above, (we haven't done PDEs yet), I gather I could set each term = a constant, Ex: $ \frac{1}{R}\d{}{r}(r^2R')=k_r $

1) Why is that valid, to me it looks like assuming the particular solution = constant?

2) I've no doubt the choice of constant comes from experience etc., what 3 constants are appropriate and why please?

Related to Putting it all together: The Deuteron

1. What is a deuteron?

A deuteron is a type of nucleus that consists of one proton and one neutron, bound together by the strong nuclear force. It is the simplest type of nucleus after the hydrogen nucleus.

2. How is the deuteron formed?

The deuteron is formed through a process called nuclear fusion, where two lighter nuclei (usually hydrogen isotopes) combine to form a heavier nucleus. In the case of the deuteron, a proton and a neutron fuse together.

3. What is the significance of the deuteron in nuclear physics?

The deuteron is important in nuclear physics as it is the building block for larger nuclei and is used to study the strong nuclear force. It is also a key component in nuclear reactions and is used in nuclear power generation.

4. How is the deuteron different from a regular hydrogen atom?

The deuteron differs from a regular hydrogen atom in that it has an extra neutron in its nucleus. This makes it slightly heavier and more stable than a regular hydrogen atom. Additionally, the deuteron has different properties and behaviors due to the presence of the neutron.

5. How is the deuteron used in practical applications?

The deuteron is used in a variety of practical applications, including nuclear power generation, medical imaging, and scientific research. It is also used to create tritium, a radioactive isotope that is used in nuclear weapons and as a fuel for fusion reactions.