Putting a satellite into an elliptical orbit

In summary, the problem requires launching a satellite into an orbit with an apogee of 5R/2, where R is the radius of the planet. The satellite is launched from the surface with a speed Vo at 30 degrees to the local vertical. Using conservation of energy and possibly angular momentum, the equation (Vo)^2 = 5GM/4R can be derived, where M is the mass of the planet. However, this method may not yield the correct answer and further considerations, such as including a kinetic energy term and utilizing angular momentum, may be necessary.
Keano16

Homework Statement

It is required to put a satellite into an orbit with apogee of 5R/2, where R is the radius of the planet. The satellite is to be launched from the surface with a speed Vo at 30degrees to the local vertical. If M is the mass of the planet, show that (Vo)^2 = 5GM/4R. Assume zero rotation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use conservation of energy first i.e., 1/2*m*Vo^2 - GMm/R = 2GmM/3R
3R/2 - distance between planet's surface and apogee).

Needless to say, that doesn't yield the right answer, I was wondering perhaps elliptical orbits have some other requirements -- perhaps the inclusion of angular momentum?

Thanks, I appreciate any nudge towards the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keano16 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use conservation of energy first i.e., 1/2*m*Vo^2 - GMm/R = 2GmM/3R
3R/2 - distance between planet's surface and apogee).

Needless to say, that doesn't yield the right answer, I was wondering perhaps elliptical orbits have some other requirements -- perhaps the inclusion of angular momentum?

Thanks, I appreciate any nudge towards the right direction.
I haven't worked on elliptical orbit problems myself, but I see nobody else has responded so I'll go ahead and comment on two issues I see with what you've done:

1. For potential energy, use the distance from the satellite to the center of the Earth, not the Earth's surface.

2. At the apogee of the elliptical orbit, v is not zero. So there should be a kinetic energy term in your expression for the total energy at apogee.

And, as you said, using angular momentum may be useful here.

Related to Putting a satellite into an elliptical orbit

1. What is an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbit in which the satellite follows an elliptical path around the central body. This means that the satellite's distance from the central body varies throughout its orbit, with the closest point being the perigee and the farthest point being the apogee.

2. How is a satellite put into an elliptical orbit?

A satellite can be put into an elliptical orbit by launching it into space at a specific angle and velocity. This angle and velocity are carefully calculated to ensure that the satellite follows an elliptical path around the central body.

3. What are the benefits of putting a satellite into an elliptical orbit?

There are several benefits to putting a satellite into an elliptical orbit. One benefit is that the satellite can cover a larger area of the central body's surface compared to a circular orbit. Another benefit is that the satellite can have longer periods of visibility, allowing for more data to be collected.

4. What are the challenges of putting a satellite into an elliptical orbit?

One of the challenges of putting a satellite into an elliptical orbit is the precise calculations required for the launch angle and velocity. Any errors in these calculations can result in the satellite not reaching the desired orbit. Additionally, the varying distance from the central body in an elliptical orbit can affect the satellite's communication and power capabilities.

5. How is the orbit of a satellite in an elliptical orbit maintained?

To maintain the orbit of a satellite in an elliptical orbit, regular adjustments may need to be made using thrusters or other propulsion systems. This is necessary because the satellite's path is affected by external forces such as gravitational pull from other bodies. These adjustments ensure that the satellite stays on its intended orbit and continues to function properly.