Pursuing Masters in Civil Engineering immediately after Bachelors?

In summary, basst82 recommends not pursuing a masters degree in civil engineering if you are already working. However, if you are not working and want to pursue a masters, he recommends doing research to get funded. Pyrrhus advises waiting until you have a full-time job and see what their tuition reimbursement policies are before committing to it on your own dime.
elementG
Hey guys, its been a while since I've been on this board and just wanted to ask for some advice/insight/recommendations. I'm currently a senior undergraduate getting my degree in Civil Engineering. Lately, I've really been considering graduate school due to two reasons:

1. ASCE in support of requiring BS+30 (masters degree) in 2015 as a prerequisite to the PE license exam. Correct me on that year if I'm wrong.
2. I know taking a break after graduation makes it much harder to get back to school (fall in love, get married, have kids, steady income :) etc.) I'll be 24 when I graduate.

However, we all know how expensive school is regardless of which university you attend. Do you guys think pursuing a masters degree in civil engineering is really worth the money in the end? I talked to several faculty about this and they recommend I do so since I'm still young and have the "energy", plus civil engineering requires technical focus in the real world since the undergraduate curriculum is quite broad. As much as I want to just be done with school, I feel like going straight to grad school will be an investment in the long run. But again, how much of an investment would that be? I have no idea, hence the post. Any advice, recommendations, insight, stories much appreciated! Thanks.

ps. Are there anyone year civil grad programs in CA that anyone may know of? I would love to find a program that is less than two years if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may receive funding for your Master's if you are willing to do research.

I've been working as a Civil for 8 years now and I would recommend that, unless you are looking to do Structural Engineering, that you do NOT pursue a masters. In the "real world" that masters #1 won't be rewarded by salary (at least not comparative to the amount of time and money you'll put into it) and #2 won't give you any insight or advancement into the field that you can't get with a couple years' experience. Yes, ASCE is trying to move towards requiring the +30, but last I saw it's not written in stone just yet, and you'd probably be better off (and be better rewarded, salary-wise) by going for Engineering Management or a full-MBA.

Also, I would say wait until you get yourself a full-time job and see what their tuition reimbursement policies are before you commit to it on your own dime. I went back to school 1 month after starting full time and didn't pay for one class, book or fee for my Masters (Engineering Management), as long as I got As. Now, that degree hasn't done me much good (experience counts 10-fold over education) beyond being able to say I have it, but at least I didn't pay for it. That was in 2004-05 though, so before the economy tanked and things got rough. I would guess 50-75% reimbursement is still a general rule though.

... not that I'm jaded or anything :)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

I would recommend basst82 advice if you are already working. It might not be worth it leaving your job to get a master's. However, you can go to graduate school, and do some research (to get funded) if you don't find a job now.

basst82 and Pyrrhus, thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciated. I seem to be caught up with the ASCE BS+30 situation. You're right, its not written in stone. I guess I'm just worried that by the time I have enough work experience under a P.E., the requirements for the exam would change. Then I would have to go back to school just to get the 30+ credits. But yes, I do believe that experience is far greater than a masters degree. Even before making this thread, I was leaning towards just finding a job, working and settling down. I still am as of now.

basst82, how has your masters in engineering management helped you career wise? Are you a P.E.? I was thinking about engineering management or an MBA, but I don't have much interest in business even though its a big aspect in civil engineering. But then again, that may change a few years from now.

Related to Pursuing Masters in Civil Engineering immediately after Bachelors?

What is a Masters in Civil Engineering?

A Masters in Civil Engineering is a graduate-level degree that focuses on advanced concepts and techniques in the field of civil engineering. It typically requires 1-2 years of additional study after completing a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering.

Why should I pursue a Masters in Civil Engineering immediately after my Bachelors?

Pursuing a Masters in Civil Engineering immediately after completing your Bachelor's degree allows you to build upon the knowledge and skills you have already acquired. It can also give you a competitive edge in the job market and open up opportunities for higher-level positions and higher salaries.

What are the admission requirements for a Masters in Civil Engineering program?

Admission requirements for a Masters in Civil Engineering program vary by university, but typically include a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and a satisfactory GRE score. Some programs may also require relevant work experience.

What can I expect to learn in a Masters in Civil Engineering program?

In a Masters in Civil Engineering program, you can expect to learn advanced concepts in areas such as structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, and construction management. You may also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of civil engineering through elective courses or a thesis project.

What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Civil Engineering?

A Masters in Civil Engineering can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as construction, transportation, infrastructure, and environmental engineering. Graduates may work as structural engineers, project managers, transportation planners, or construction managers, among other roles. With a higher level of education, you may also have the opportunity for advancement into leadership or management positions.