Purpose of natural log in gibbs free energy equation

In summary, the logarithm is used in the equation for the equilibrium constant because it has the property that ln(x*y) = ln(x) + ln(y). This is derived from the thermodynamic relationship that states that the overall change in free energy is zero at equilibrium.
thedy
Hi,Im just beginner and I m trying to learn integrals.I m just in starting phase,but still in few tences,not details...How or why we get logarithm in gibbs free energy equation?Because of integration of this equation or due to probability and statistics laws?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could provide the equation you are referring too?

deltaG=-RTlnK
But I mean in general,why there is a ln.And how we get this.By integrating(for now,I don t need why we use integrating)or due to probability(Boltzmann and etc...)
Thanks

This term can be traced back to entropy.
In its easiest form the entropy for a system is some function of ##\Omega## where ##\Omega## is the numer of states available to a system. Now if you are combining two sub systems, with possible number of states ##\Omega_1## and ##\Omega_2##, as any state of one system can be combined with any state of the other, ##\Omega=\Omega_1\Omega_2##.
But we know that entropy is an extensive quantity, i.e. doubling a system should double the entropy. To achieve this, entropy has to depend on the logarithm of ##\Omega## as the logarithm of a product becomes the sum of the logarithms. This carries over to ##\Delta G=\Delta H-T\Delta S## due to the second term.

Thanks,so it has nothing to do with integration...Right?

In your equation is ΔG the standard change in gibbs free energy for a reaction and K the equilibrium constant for the reaction? Is that what your symbols refer to?

Chestermiller said:
In your equation is ΔG the standard change in gibbs free energy for a reaction and K the equilibrium constant for the reaction? Is that what your symbols refer to?
Yes,so am I right?Nothing to do with integration?

thedy said:
Thanks,so it has nothing to do with integration...Right?

Depends on what you are integrating.

DrDu said:
Depends on what you are integrating.
Thanks,but what do you mean with this?

In the easiest case of ideal gasses ##\Delta G=\sum_i \nu_i \mu_i=\sum_i \nu_i \mu_i^0+RT \sum_i \ln (p_i/p_i^0)=\Delta G_0+RT (\ln \Pi_i p_i /p_i^0)##. Here ##\mu_i## is the chemical potential of compound i, ##\nu_i## the stochiometric coefficient of compound i in the reaction considered and ##p_i## its pressure (##p_i^0## the normal pressure, 1 Atm).
Now this relation can be obtained by integrating e.g. ## d\mu_i=V_i dp_i ## from ##p_i^0## to ##p_i## with ##V_i=RT/p_i## being the molar volume. So you can derive this formula using steps which include integration if you want. However I would not say that integration is the "reason" for the appearance of the logarithm.

Last edited:
DrDu said:
In the easiest case of ideal gasses ##\Delta G=\sum_i \nu_i \mu_i=\sum_i \nu_i \mu_i^0-RT \sum_i \ln (p_i/p_i^0)=\Delta G_0-RT (\ln \Pi_i p_i /p_i^0)##. Here ##\mu_i## is the chemical potential of compound i, ##\nu_i## the stochiometric coefficient of compound i in the reaction considered and ##p_i## its pressure (##p_i^0## the normal pressure, 1 Atm).
Now this relation can be obtained by integrating e.g. ## d\mu_i=V_i dp_i ## from ##p_i^0## to ##p_i## with ##V_i=RT/p_i## being the molar volume. So you can derive this formula using steps which include integration if you want. However I would not say that integration is the "reason" for the appearance of the logarithm.
OK,so what is the actual reason of this logarithm be in this equation?What inspired physicists?

I always thought the log was used because it has the property: ln(x*y) = ln(x) + ln(y)

There are different ways of looking at this. One is from the standpoint of statistical thermodynamics, and the other is from the standpoint of classical thermodynamics. From the standpoint of classical thermodynamics, if G0 is the free energy of formation of a substance in a standard state p0, T0, and G is the free energy of the substance at the same temperature and pressure p, then
[tex]G(p,T_0)=G_0+\int_{p_0}^pVdp[/tex]
This comes directly from the thermodynamic relationship
dG=-SdT+VdP

If the gas is an ideal gas,
[tex]G(p,T_0)=G_0+RT_0\ln{\frac{p}{p_0}}[/tex]
If the pressure is expressed in atmospheres, and, if the reference state is p0= 1atm, then
[tex]G(p,T_0)=G_0+RT_0\ln p[/tex]
If you are dealing with a mixture of ideal gases, such that G in the above equation is the partial molar free energy (aka the chemical potential), then the pressure in the above equation is the partial pressure of a species.

In obtaining the equation for the equilibrium constant in terms of the molar free energies of formation of the reactants and products, you add the free energies stoichiometrically. But at equalibrium, the overall change in the free energy is zero. So this leaves you with the equation:

[tex]RT_0\ln K_p=-\Delta G_0[/tex]

From all this you can see that an integration step was indeed involved in obtaining the final equation for an ideal gas (at least in the classical development). Incidentally, in your equation, you left out a minus sign in front of the change in standard free energy for the reaction.

OK,thanks to all for answers...:)

Related to Purpose of natural log in gibbs free energy equation

1. What is the purpose of the natural log in the Gibbs free energy equation?

The natural log, or ln, is used in the Gibbs free energy equation to convert the ratio of concentrations of reactants and products into a more manageable form. It helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to interpret the results.

2. Why is the natural log used instead of other logarithms?

The natural log is used in the Gibbs free energy equation because it is based on the mathematical constant, e. This constant is often found in natural systems and is useful for analyzing chemical and physical processes.

3. How does the natural log affect the value of Gibbs free energy?

The natural log is a mathematical operation that does not change the overall value of Gibbs free energy. However, it does change the units of measurement, making it easier to compare values between different reactions.

4. Can the natural log be negative in the Gibbs free energy equation?

Yes, the natural log can be negative in the Gibbs free energy equation. This can occur when the ratio of concentrations of reactants and products is less than 1, which can happen in certain reactions where the products are more stable than the reactants.

5. How does the natural log relate to the spontaneity of a reaction?

The natural log is used in the Gibbs free energy equation to calculate the change in free energy that occurs during a chemical reaction. If the value of ln is negative, it indicates that the reaction is spontaneous and will proceed in the forward direction. If the value of ln is positive, the reaction is non-spontaneous and will not occur without an external driving force.