Purifying water with electric fields

In summary: CBS News did a story on it a few years ago.In summary, the technology seems a little fishy to me, so I wanted to see if anyone could tell me whether or not the physics even makes sense. Basically the goal is to prevent CaCO3 from coming out of solution and depositing onto pipes. This is how is supposedly works:1. Water passes through an electric field.2. The electric field strips particles (doesn't say what they are exactly) of their static charge.3. CaCO3 precipitates onto the stripped particles instead of onto pipes.So they don't prevent the CaCO3 from precipitating, but they keep it flowing in the water.
murrdpirate0
I'm an HVAC engineer and my company has tasked me with researching a variety of water treatment products (for cooling towers). One of which is Dolphin Water Care (http://www.dolphinwatercare.com/Index.aspx)

The technology seems a little fishy to me, so I wanted to see if anyone could tell me whether or not the physics even makes sense. Basically the goal is to prevent CaCO3 from coming out of solution and depositing onto pipes. This is how is supposedly works:

1. Water passes through an electric field.
2. The electric field strips particles (doesn't say what they are exactly) of their static charge.
3. CaCO3 precipitates onto the stripped particles instead of onto pipes.

So they don't prevent the CaCO3 from precipitating, but they keep it flowing in the water. Eventually the water flows into a large vat. At that point, everything settles to the bottom and you can just clean it out.Can you even use an electric field to strip particles of their static charge? And even if you can, can you strip these "particles" of their static charge without stripping the CaCO3 of its static charge? I'm assuming they would just repel each other if they were both stripped of their static charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm an HVAC engineer too and I've seen this before and had a similar doubt, but never went too deep into it. I went to a sales presentation (at a go-kart track!) for these guys: http://www.enecon.com/products/eneflow_01.asp

And a google comes up with a site suggesting the concept is psuedoscience: http://www.chem1.com/CQ/magscams.html

I didn't see a need to use it anywhere, so I didn't try to learn the chemistry, but maybe someone with more chemistry background will chime in...

Man, I'm usually such a good googler. That site you mentioned is great! By far the best info I've seen, and I've been searching forever.

Definitely more confident that this stuff is bogus. But like the author says, I'm surprised that this stuff hasn't been completely settled (or at least settled and easy to find). Maybe I'll have to talk to some people at the government and see if I can get some actual data.

BTW, those are some amazing photos you have on your website. I didn't know it was possible to take such good photos as a hobbyist.

I was a star on my high school Google team. I always thought I had a shot at the majors before blowing out my knee...sad story for another time...

I'm curious enough about this subject maybe I'll look into it further tomorrow.

Thanks for the compliments on my website. It hasn't been updated in about a year and I've since gotten a new planetary camera, so my new pics blow those out of the water (wasn't a good year for the deep space stuff though...). Here's Mars from last week, in our astrophotography thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2539921&postcount=283

Related to Purifying water with electric fields

1. How does purifying water with electric fields work?

Purifying water with electric fields, also known as electrocoagulation, works by applying an electric current to water. This process causes positively and negatively charged particles in the water to clump together, making it easier to remove impurities through filtration or settling.

2. Is purifying water with electric fields safe?

Yes, purifying water with electric fields is a safe and effective method. The electric fields used are low voltage and do not produce harmful byproducts. However, it is important to follow proper procedures and safety measures when conducting this process.

3. What types of impurities can be removed through purifying water with electric fields?

Electrocoagulation can remove a wide range of impurities from water, including suspended particles, bacteria, viruses, heavy metals, and organic compounds. It is a versatile method that can be used for various types of water treatment.

4. What are the advantages of using electric fields for water purification?

One of the main advantages of using electric fields for water purification is that it does not require the use of chemicals, making it a more environmentally friendly option. It is also a cost-effective and efficient method, with the ability to treat large volumes of water in a short amount of time.

5. Are there any limitations to using electric fields for water purification?

While purifying water with electric fields is a useful method, it does have some limitations. It may not be effective in removing certain types of contaminants, such as dissolved salts and some organic compounds. Additionally, proper equipment and expertise are needed to ensure the process is conducted correctly.