Purely imaginary complex contour

In summary, the property of inverse Laplace transforms having this property is because the function being transformed is a function of a real variable.
saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I've been working with Complex Analysis and have noticed an interesting result.

Under what conditions will the following integral be purely imaginary:

[tex]\int_{a-bi}^{a+bi} f(z)dz[/tex]

It seems to me some type of symmetry is required. Take for example:

[tex]\int_{1-8i}^{1+8i} f(z)dz[/tex]

where:

[tex]f(z)= \frac{e^{3z}}{z}[/tex]

Now:

[tex]\int_{1-8i}^{1+0i} \frac{e^{3z}}{z}dz\approx 10.6559+2.7271i[/tex]

and:

[tex]\int_{1+0i}^{1+8i} \frac{e^{3z}}{z}dz\approx -10.6559 + 2.7271i[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]\int_{1-8i}^{1+8i} \frac{e^{3z}}{z}dz\approx 5.4543i[/tex]

Note the plot below which is the image of f(z) in the u-v plane for f(z) along the path indicated above. Red is the image for negative values of b; blue is for positive values. The symmetry is obvious.

I've noticed this with other similar integrals and suspect symmetry causes the integral to be purely imaginary but haven't yet figured out how to prove it. Can anyone offer ideas/hints/suggestions?

Attachments

• image of f(z).JPG
    image of f(z).JPG
    10 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, I'm making some progress in this matter:

Consider the problem:

[tex]\int_{1-8i}^{1+8i} \frac{e^z}{z}dz[/tex]

Expanding the integrand into a Real part and Imaginary part:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{e^{x+yi}}{(x+yi)}&=\frac{e^x}{x^2+y^2}\left(xCos(y)+ ySin(y)\right) \\
&+ i\left[\frac{e^x}{x^2+y^2}\left(yCos(y)+xSin(y)\right)\right] \\
&=u+vi
\end{align}
[/tex]

and using the relation:

[tex]\int_c f(z)dz=\int_c udx-vdy+i\int_c udy+vdx[/tex]

I let:

[tex]x=1,\quad dx=0[/tex]

[tex]y=t,\quad dy=dt[/tex]

The integral then becomes:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\int_{1-8i}^{1+8i} \frac{e^z}{z}dz&=-k\int_{-8}^8 \left(\frac{tCos(t)}{1+t^2}+\frac{Sin(t)}
{1+t^2}\right)dt \\
&+i\left(\int_{-8}^{8} \left(\frac{Cos(t)}{1+t^2}+\frac{tSin(t)}{1+t^2}\right)dt
\end{align}
[/tex]

Note that the real part is an odd function of t and thus the integral over a symmetric region about the origin is zero. Thus the real part of the integral is zero. The imaginary part however is NOT and odd function.

Thus my first conclusion is:

If the Real part of the Euler expansion of the integrand is an odd function of the parameter t, then the results will be either zero or pure imaginary.

Last edited:
Interesting. Going from 1-8i to 1 gives you the same answer as from 1 to 1+8i, but with a flip in the real part.
Actually, it just occurred that it is a trivial consequence of the reflection principle. If an analytic function f(z) is defined on a region that is symmetric wrt the x-axis, contains the x-axis and takes on real values on that axis. Then
[tex]\bar f(z)=f(\bar z)[/tex].

Galileo said:
Interesting. Going from 1-8i to 1 gives you the same answer as from 1 to 1+8i, but with a flip in the real part.
Actually, it just occurred that it is a trivial consequence of the reflection principle. If an analytic function f(z) is defined on a region that is symmetric wrt the x-axis, contains the x-axis and takes on real values on that axis. Then
[tex]\bar f(z)=f(\bar z)[/tex].

Thanks Galileo. I'll look that up. Might you comment why inverse Laplace Transforms have this property? That is the reason of course that when the integral expression for the inverse transform is multiplied by the coefficient:

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}[/tex]

a function of a real variable is obtained.:smile:

Related to Purely imaginary complex contour

1. What is a purely imaginary complex contour?

A purely imaginary complex contour is a path or curve in the complex plane that consists entirely of imaginary numbers. It is often represented by the letter i, the imaginary unit, and can be used to describe mathematical functions or models that involve imaginary numbers.

2. How is a purely imaginary complex contour different from a real complex contour?

A real complex contour is a path in the complex plane that contains both real and imaginary numbers, while a purely imaginary complex contour only contains imaginary numbers. This means that the path of a purely imaginary complex contour will lie solely on the imaginary axis, while a real complex contour can move in both the real and imaginary directions.

3. What is the significance of a purely imaginary complex contour in mathematics?

Purely imaginary complex contours are important in a variety of mathematical applications, such as in solving differential equations, evaluating integrals, and understanding the behavior of complex functions. They also have practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.

4. How are purely imaginary complex contours used in contour integration?

In contour integration, a purely imaginary complex contour is often used to simplify the evaluation of integrals involving complex functions. By choosing a contour that lies entirely on the imaginary axis, the integral can be reduced to a simpler form that is easier to solve.

5. Can a purely imaginary complex contour ever intersect the real axis?

No, a purely imaginary complex contour can never intersect the real axis because it is defined as a path that only contains imaginary numbers. The real axis, on the other hand, consists of only real numbers. Therefore, the two can never intersect.