Pure state versus superposition

In summary, in quantum mechanics, every normalized vector represents a pure state and every pure state can be represented by a normalized vector. Furthermore, every vector is an eigenvector for some observable. Mixed states, on the other hand, are formed through a linear combination of states and are not considered pure states. In regards to states evolving in time, every allowable superposition in quantum mechanics is a pure state for some observable, even if the observable is complex to realize.
philo324
I am a little bit versed in the formalism of Hilbert space, the state vector and the matricies and their eigenvector basis of observables in QM. I understand that a pure state in one observable basis may be (is) a superposition in another basis (spin xUP) is superposition of spinyUP, spin yDOWN eigenvectors. And that a superposition may also be a pure state if you pick the right observable. My question: is EVERY allowable superposition in quantum mechanics, every state the system could end up in, a pure state for some observable, even if this observable is very complex to realize? I'm speaking in principle rather than practice. If so, would it be correct to say that the state of the system is always in principle an observable pure state but we just have to keep changing bases? I apologize if I'm wording things awkwardly.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the formulation you're familiar with, every normalized vector represents a pure state. (Of course, if two such vector are a multiple of each other, they represent the same state)

Conversely, every pure state can be represented by a normalized vector.

Also, every vector (or nonzero vector, depending on the details of how you define things) is indeed an eigenvector for some observable.

There are other states, though. These are not formed by superimposing, but by mixing -- if you represent states as density matrices, a linear combination of states (with positive real coefficients that add to 1) usually gives a mixed state.

Maybe I learned things oddly, but I've never heard of a "pure state for an observable".

Clear. I'm thinking about a state that evolves in time, for example. Like if you had the square well problem but your system was in more than one energy state, so the state evolves as the mean value sloshes back and forth in time. Is that a superposition of say pure energy eigenstates or is it a mixed state? Are mixed states also pure states for some outlandish observable?

Wait, I think I see from some other postings. The mixed states really are a different case, more like statistical mechanics.

philo324 said:
Clear. I'm thinking about a state that evolves in time, for example.
Vectors in the Hilbert space (and in the domain of the Hamiltonian) evolve to vectors in the Hilbert space, right? So...

philo324 said:
is EVERY allowable superposition in quantum mechanics, every state the system could end up in, a pure state for some observable, even if this observable is very complex to realize?

Yes. If \psi is a pure state then it is an eigenstate of the projector P = \psi\psi^* with eigenvalue 1, and P is an observable according to the standard definition (self-adjoint). Moreover, if the Hilbert space is low-dimensional, P can be realized quite well.

Related to Pure state versus superposition

What is a pure state in quantum mechanics?

A pure state in quantum mechanics is a state in which a quantum system is in a definite and unchanging state. This means that the system has a well-defined set of quantum numbers and the outcome of any measurement on the system will be certain. In other words, the system is not in a state of uncertainty or superposition.

What is superposition in quantum mechanics?

Superposition in quantum mechanics refers to the ability of a quantum system to exist in multiple states simultaneously. This means that the system is in a state of uncertainty and can only be described by a probability distribution. In other words, the system is in a state of both "yes" and "no" at the same time until a measurement is made.

What is the difference between a pure state and a superposition state?

The main difference between a pure state and a superposition state is that a pure state is a definite and unchanging state, while a superposition state is a state of uncertainty and can exist in multiple states simultaneously. In a pure state, the outcome of any measurement on the system will be certain, while in a superposition state, the outcome will be probabilistic.

How do pure states and superposition states relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This principle is closely related to the concept of pure states and superposition states. In a pure state, the position and momentum of a particle are well-defined, while in a superposition state, the position and momentum are uncertain and can only be described by a probability distribution.

What is the significance of pure states and superposition states in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, the ability to manipulate and control pure states and superposition states is crucial. Pure states are used to store and process information, while superposition states allow for complex operations to be performed simultaneously, leading to faster and more efficient computation. Understanding and harnessing the properties of pure states and superposition states is key to the advancement of quantum computing technology.