Pure Mathematics study - question

In summary, when planning to study pure mathematics on your own, it is important to follow a logical sequence. It is recommended to start with formal logic, philosophical logic, sentential logic, predicate logic, and symbolic logic. Then, move on to set theory, followed by an introduction to proofs and abstract algebra. After that, you can study foundational mathematics before delving into mathematical logic and axiomatic set theory. However, if your main goal is to understand relational databases, a basic proof book may be enough background.
heff001
I am planning to study the following pure mathematics areas (on my own) and wanted to know if this is the best sequence:

1- Formal Logic
2 -Philosophical Logic
3- Sentential Logic
4- Predicate Logic
5- Symbolic Logic

6 -Set Theory

7 -Pure Mathematics (Intro, Pure Math I and II and Hardy) - not sure if this belongs here? Should I begin here?

8 -Abstract AlgebraI do not want to study applied / discrete mathematics. My background is computer science.

Physics news on Phys.org
heff001 said:
I am planning to study the following pure mathematics areas (on my own) and wanted to know if this is the best sequence:

1- Formal Logic
2 -Philosophical Logic
3- Sentential Logic
4- Predicate Logic
5- Symbolic Logic

6 -Set Theory

7 -Pure Mathematics (Intro, Pure Math I and II and Hardy) - not sure if this belongs here? Should I begin here?

8 -Abstract AlgebraI do not want to study applied / discrete mathematics. My background is computer science.
You could do it that way - if you want to end up hopelessly confused. If you want to study mathematical logic, Predicate logic is easiest and closest to computer science. The next level is first-order logic, but I do not recommend that until after a season or two of Pure Mathematics Intro. I would also defer set theory and abstract algebra until after that intro.

I would suggest:

1) Introduction to proofs, for example using the book of proof: http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

2) Abstract Algebra, for example using Pinter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486474178/?tag=pfamazon01-20

3) Introduction to foundational mathematics, for example using Stillwell: https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319015761/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Then you can go on to study mathematical logic and axiomatic set theory.

Please do no hesitate to contact me with further questions or guidance!

For a soft but good introduction to set theory, I would suggest Halmos' "Naive Set Theory". Google it, and you have the choice between a free but poor pdf copy or a respectable paid copy; but a lot of libraries have it.

When I was getting my math education, I was never exposed to your steps 1-5. Mine started (after calculus, etc.) with 6 (set theory).

Thanks to all...

Why is Set Theory a topic to wait on after studying Pure Math? I am an IT Data Architect where relational theory is based on set theory. The theory of relational databases is built upon the mathematical theory of sets.

heff001 said:
Thanks to all...

Why is Set Theory a topic to wait on after studying Pure Math? I am an IT Data Architect where relational theory is based on set theory. The theory of relational databases is built upon the mathematical theory of sets.

OK, you didn't specify that you wanted to obtain a background in set theory in order to understand relational databases. From your post, I gathered that you were interested in mathematical logic and axiomatic set theory.
First of all, I want to say that when I studied relational databases, I never found my knowledge of set theory very useful, but maybe I didn't go very deep into it. I think it would be good for you to go through a basic proof book such as Velleman: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521675995/?tag=pfamazon01-20 That should be enough background for everything to do with relational databases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Pure Mathematics study - question

1. What is pure mathematics?

Pure mathematics is the study of mathematical concepts and structures for their own sake, rather than for their practical applications. It focuses on developing abstract theories and proving theorems, rather than solving real-world problems.

2. What are some examples of pure mathematics topics?

Examples of pure mathematics topics include number theory, abstract algebra, topology, and logic. These branches of mathematics deal with fundamental concepts such as numbers, equations, shapes, and reasoning, without direct applications to the real world.

3. How is pure mathematics different from applied mathematics?

Pure mathematics is primarily concerned with developing theories and proving theorems, while applied mathematics uses these theories to solve real-world problems. Applied mathematics often involves the use of mathematical techniques to analyze and model practical situations.

4. What skills are required to study pure mathematics?

To study pure mathematics, one should have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus. It also requires critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail. Strong logical reasoning skills and the ability to think abstractly are also important for studying pure mathematics.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who study pure mathematics?

Some career opportunities for pure mathematics graduates include research and teaching positions in academia, as well as roles in industries such as finance, technology, and data analysis. The problem-solving and analytical skills developed through studying pure mathematics are highly valued in a variety of fields.