Finding the Center of Mass of a Uniform Semicircular Disk Using Integration

In summary, the center of mass of a uniform semicircular disk of radius R is located at a point (4/(3*Pi))R from the center of the circle. To find this, the equation M\vec{r_{cm}}=\int\vec{rdm} is used, with dm being the mass divided by the area. Since the density is constant, it can be assumed to be one, making the integration easier. For the second problem, a baseball bat with a peculiar linear density is given, and the mass and x_cm can be found by using the equation M=\int_0^L\lambda dx. These problems are related to classical physics and involve standard calculus techniques.
smeagol
Show that the center of mass of a uniform semicircular disk of radius R is at a point (4/(3*Pi))R from the center of the circle.

well I know I am suppose to find this by integration. By this equation

[tex]M\vec{r_{cm}}=\int\vec{rdm}[/tex]

But, I am not sure how to find dm in this case...

do I divide mass by area? or by circumference?

and since it's a disk, and it was 2 variables, would I have to integrate for 2 variables? (x and y)?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, CM calculations end up being double or triple integrals, but this one is pretty straightforward since the disk has constant density.

I'd be inclined to cut the half-disk into parralel strips and integrate along the CM of each strip.

Since the density is uniform, you might as well assume that it's one.

so I divide M by [tex]2R\sin{\theta}[/tex]?

Since you are talking about a semicircular disk, I would be inclined to use polar (actually cylindrical coordinates).

The differential of area in polar coordinates is r dr dθ so the differential of volume in cylindrical coordinates is r dr dθ dz.

Taking the density to be ρ(r,θ,z), dm= ρ(r,θz) dr dθ dz.

The mass, for semicircular disk of radius R and thickness h would be M= ∫(z=0 to h)∫(θ=0 to π)∫(r= 0 to R) ρ(r,θ,z)r dr dθ dz.

If ρ is a constant, this is just ρπr2h.

Since x= r cosθ, the formula for the xcm would be Mxcm= ∫(z=0 to h)∫(&theta= 0 to π)∫(r= 0 to R)(r cos θ)(ρ(r,θ,z)r dr dθ dz)=
∫(z=0 to h)∫(&theta= 0 to π)∫(r= 0 to R)(ρ(r,θ,z)r2cosθ dz dθ dz.

Since y= r sinθ, the formula for ycm would be Mycm= ∫(z=0 to h)∫(θ= 0 to π)∫(r= 0 to R)(&rho(r,θ,z)r2sinθ dz dθ dz.

The formula for zcm would be Mzcm= ∫(z=0 to h)∫(θ= 0 to π)∫(r= 0 to R)(&rho(r,θ,z)zr dr dθ dz.

Of course, if ρ is a constant, from symmetry (cosine is an even function) xcm= 0 and zcm= h/2.

Ok, I got that one.

Moving on, the next problem is confusing me as well.

A baseball bat of length L has a peculiar linear density (mass per unit length) given by [tex]\lambda=\lambda_0(1+x^2/L^2)[/tex]

so what I've done is
[tex]\int_{0}^{L}x\lambda_0(1+x^2/L^2)dx[/tex]

which gives
[tex]\frac{3\lambda_0L^2}{4}[/tex]

so I know that M * x_cm = that but how do I find M so I can find x_cm?

Originally posted by smeagol
...but how do I find M so I can find x_cm?

C'mon. You know the mass per unit length. How can you not know the mass?

[tex]M=\int_0^L\lambda dx[/tex]

krab: Watch it now! You're starting to sound like me!

By the way, why were these posted under the "classical physics" forum? The look like fairly standard calculus homework problems.

well I got it from a "physics for scientists and engineers" from tipler. So I figured it would fit better under physics.

1. What is the concept of center of mass by integration?

The center of mass by integration is a mathematical concept used to determine the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. It is calculated by dividing the total mass of the object by the sum of the individual mass elements multiplied by their respective distances from a chosen reference point.

2. How is center of mass by integration different from the traditional center of mass formula?

The traditional center of mass formula, also known as the centroid, only takes into account the shape and distribution of an object's mass, while the center of mass by integration also considers the mass density of the object. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the center of mass for irregularly shaped objects.

3. What is the equation for calculating center of mass by integration?

The equation for center of mass by integration is: xcm = (∫x dm) / m, where xcm is the x-coordinate of the center of mass, x is the distance from the reference point to the mass element, dm is the differential mass element, and m is the total mass of the object.

4. Can center of mass by integration be used for 3-dimensional objects?

Yes, center of mass by integration can be used to calculate the center of mass for 3-dimensional objects. The equation for 3-dimensional objects is similar to the 2-dimensional equation, but takes into account the z-coordinate as well: xcm = (∫∫∫x dm) / m.

5. Why is center of mass by integration important in physics and engineering?

Center of mass by integration is important in physics and engineering because it allows for the accurate calculation of the center of mass for complex objects. This information is crucial in understanding an object's stability, motion, and response to external forces. It is also used in designing structures and machines to ensure they are balanced and stable.