Questions for aerospace engineers

• Thread starter matt06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, Matt is a high school freshman writing a vocational research paper on becoming an aerospace engineer. He is looking for interviews with aerospace engineers and has a few questions. There are no active aerospace engineers on the forum, but russ_waters and the responder have some background in aerospace. The best bet for interviews is to contact a local aerospace firm, with Lockheed Martin being the biggest in Pittsburgh. It is recommended to dress up and prepare questions before going in for an interview, as it could potentially lead to an internship.
matt06
I am a freshman in high school and I'm writing a vocational research paper on becoming an aerospace engineer. I can get extra credit for interviews with aerospace engineers. I have a few questions if anyone can please take a minute to answer them.
1) Do you like going to work everyday?
2) Are there physical qualifications involved in your work?
3) Do you think that you would ever switch jobs to another engineering job?
4) What kind of degree do you have?
5) Are there long hours involved in your work?
Thanks,
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi matt,

Welcome to the forums!

To my knowledge, there aren't any active aerospace engineers posting on the forums. (If I'm wrong, or if any are lurking, SPEAK UP!)

russ_waters or myself are probably the closest you'll find here. I'm a senior studying aerospace, and Russ is a mechanical engineer who took a few years of aerospace classes in college.

The best bet is to call up an aerospace firm in your area. Engineers (heck, everyone) likes taking a break to talk about themselves, particularly to students. If you post the general area you're from, we can find you a firm nearby.

Hi, thanks for replying. I live in Pittsburgh.

Here you go:

Some Pittsburgh Aerospace Companies

Lockheed Martin is the biggest, but I'm sure you'll not have much trouble getting a quick interview in any of them.

If you've got a choice, prepare your questions, dress up, and go into talk to the person. If you're lucky, it could lead to an internship.

Don't ask for one when you go in (considered sneaky...), but if you handled yourself well, if you call up later on (summer maybe), they'll remember you.

1. What is the role of an aerospace engineer?

An aerospace engineer is responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems. They work on various aspects of flight, including aerodynamics, propulsion, materials, and control systems.

2. What education and training is required to become an aerospace engineer?

To become an aerospace engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering or a related field, such as mechanical or electrical engineering. Some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree or relevant work experience.

3. What skills are important for aerospace engineers?

Aerospace engineers should have strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They should also have a good understanding of physics, math, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. Communication and teamwork skills are also important for working on complex projects with other engineers and professionals.

4. What are some common challenges faced by aerospace engineers?

Aerospace engineers often face challenges related to safety, cost, and efficiency. They must design and test systems that can withstand extreme conditions, while also considering budget limitations and environmental concerns. They also need to keep up with rapidly advancing technology and regulations in the aerospace industry.

5. What are the future prospects for aerospace engineering?

The future looks promising for aerospace engineers as the demand for air and space travel continues to grow. There will be a need for engineers to design more efficient and environmentally friendly aircraft and spacecraft. New technologies, such as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and commercial space travel, also offer opportunities for innovation and growth in the field.