Expectation of X^Y: Estimator & Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimator for the expectation of X^Y, where X and Y are independent and identically distributed random variables with expectations E(X) and E(Y) respectively. It is mentioned that for small variances, E(X^Y) is approximately equal to E(X)^E(Y), but the accuracy of this statement is questioned. A counterexample is suggested to demonstrate that this statement may not be true.
leehwd
Can anyone let me know the estimator for the expectaiion of X^Y. X and Y are iid random variables, and their expectation are E(X) and E(Y) respectively.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure that's not enough information.

Okay, let me put this way. Let E(X) be the expectation of random variable X, and X and Y are independent and identically distributed random variables. My question is, what is E(X^Y)? I did Talyor expansion of X^Y and concluded that, for small variances for X and Y, E(X^Y)=E(X)^E(Y).

Is this correct?
Thank you for your help in advance.

It's (probably) true that if the distributions of X and Y are "close" to constant, then then E(X^Y)=E(X)^E(Y) is approximately true.

My gut says that small variances isn't enough, but I haven't done the calculations to be sure.

I believe it is not true. Try a simple particular case. For example assume X and Y are uniformly distributed over some interval, and work out E(XY).
A good crazy example would use two intervals symmetrical around 0 (avoid 0 itself), then E(X)E(Y) would be 00, which would be nonsense.

1. What is the Expectation of X^Y?

The expectation of X^Y is a statistical measure that calculates the average value of the variable X raised to the power of Y. It is also known as the expected value or mean of X^Y. This measure is commonly used in probability and statistics to understand the central tendency of a data set.

2. How is the Expectation of X^Y calculated?

The expectation of X^Y can be calculated using the formula E[X^Y] = ∑(x^y * P(x)), where x and y represent the values of X and Y respectively, and P(x) is the probability of X taking on that value. This formula is used to find the weighted average of all possible outcomes of X^Y.

3. What is the difference between an Estimator and Calculation for the Expectation of X^Y?

An estimator is a statistical method or formula used to estimate the value of the Expectation of X^Y. On the other hand, the calculation is the actual process of finding the exact value of the Expectation of X^Y using the given data or formula. The estimator provides an approximate value, while the calculation gives the exact value.

4. Why is the Expectation of X^Y important in statistics?

The Expectation of X^Y is an essential measure in statistics because it helps in understanding the average value of a variable raised to a power. It is widely used in various statistical analyses and can provide valuable insights into the central tendency of a data set. It is also used in making predictions and decisions based on probability and statistics.

5. Can the Expectation of X^Y be negative?

Yes, the Expectation of X^Y can be negative. This can happen when the values of X and Y are such that the resulting X^Y values are negative. For example, if X is a negative number and Y is an even number, then the Expectation of X^Y may result in a negative value. It is essential to consider the range of possible outcomes when calculating the Expectation of X^Y to avoid any confusion.