How Do You Calculate Distance Traveled and Minimum Stopping Acceleration?

In summary, the graph shows the speed of a car as a function of time, with the car accelerating uniformly to reach a speed of 3.20 m/s in 8.00 seconds. To calculate the distance traveled by the car from 1.80 to 3.60 seconds, one can find the area under the curve of the velocity-time graph. In the second question, the minimum constant acceleration needed for a car traveling at 28.7 m/s to stop without hitting a deer 107 m away can be calculated using the equation v^2=v0^2+2a(x-x0), but the correct answer was not found.
Girldistracted
The Graph above shows the speed of a car traveling in a straight line as a function of time. (Sorry no graph) The car accelerates uniformly and reaches a speed Vb of 3.20 m/s in 8.00 seconds. Calculate the distance traveled by the car from a time of 1.80 to 3.60 seconds.

Im not sure what equations to use to find this...i thought i would find the change in time and then multiply that by the final velocity but that was wrong and i don't know what else to use bc the equations i have require another velocity or acceleration.

My second question is A driver in a car traveling at a speed of 64.2 mi/h sees a deer 107 m away on the road. Calculate the minimum constant acceleration that is necessary for the car to stop without hitting the deer (assuming that the deer does not move in the meantime).

I changed the speed to 28.7m/s. I used the equation
v^2=v0^2+2a(x-x0) and solved for a but that was wrong...can anyone help??

Physics news on Phys.org
For first part you have the graph why don't you find the area under the curve v-t from t=1.8 to t= 3.6

For the first question, you can use the equation for average velocity: v = (vf + vi)/2, where vf is the final velocity and vi is the initial velocity. Rearrange the equation to solve for distance traveled: d = v * t. Plug in the values for v and t, and you will get the distance traveled in that time interval.

For the second question, you can use the equation for distance: d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2, where vi is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. In this case, vi is 28.7 m/s, t is the time it takes for the car to stop (unknown), and d is 107 m. Rearrange the equation to solve for a, and you will get the minimum acceleration needed for the car to stop without hitting the deer.

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is typically described as the speed and direction of an object's motion.

Why is increasing velocity important?

Increasing velocity is important because it allows objects to cover greater distances in a shorter amount of time. This can be beneficial in various applications such as transportation, sports, and manufacturing.

How can velocity be increased?

Velocity can be increased by applying a force to an object in the direction of its motion. This can be achieved through various means such as increasing the power of a motor, reducing friction, or changing the angle of an object's motion.

What are the effects of increasing velocity?

The effects of increasing velocity can vary depending on the situation. In general, increasing velocity can result in higher levels of kinetic energy and potential for collisions or accidents. It can also lead to greater wear and tear on objects and increased resistance from air or other mediums.

What factors can limit the increase of velocity?

There are several factors that can limit the increase of velocity, including the strength and speed of the applied force, the mass of the object, and external factors such as friction and air resistance. Additionally, the laws of physics, such as the conservation of energy, can also limit the potential increase in velocity.