So I'm about to tear my hair out

• Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, the person is stuck on one question and is seeking help from a classmate. They are confident they can solve the problem, but need help from a more experienced person.
Maxwell
So far I have done 14 out of 15 questions on the LAST problem set of the semester.

I am stuck on one question, and no matter what I try, it won't accept my answer (the problem set is electronic).

Here is the problem:

"A galvanic cell consists of a Pt cathode inmmersed in a solution containing Fe2+ at 2.15 M and Fe3+ at unknown concentration, as well as a Cu anode immersed in a 2.30 M solution of Cu2+. The cell voltage is 0.09 V. What is the concentration of Fe3+ ions? Enter your answer in M."

Since I tried the problem so many times, the computer gave me a hint:

"Hint: The platinum is acting as the cathode, and the copper is acting as the anode in this cell. Calculate the Eo for this cell, and given the actual emf, work backwards with the Nernst equation to calculate concentrations. Don't forget to count the number of electrons being transferred."

Anytime I ask someone in my class how they did it, I get a generic answer like "my friend did it".

PLEASE help me on this, this is the LAST problem set question of the semester!

Thank you..

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Let me help you with this step by step.

First write the correct balanced equation. It is important that your equation is correct. Remember that you need to arrange the half cell reactions so that the differences in the half cell potential is of a positive magnitude. I am sure you know how to do the rest. It is most likely that you did not write out the correct balanced equation or in dealing with Q.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
General Chemistry Homework
All questions answered for free within 24 hours
http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryHomework [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you are right, let me give it a few more tries.. Thanks for your help!

I will post my results as soon as i get them. Thanks again.

I got 5.8892383931813e-6.

The computer is not accepting it for some reason?

Nevermind! I got it, the stupid computer was expecting sig figs, and it wouldn't accept anything close.

Thanks again.

1. What does the phrase "tear my hair out" mean?

The phrase "tear my hair out" is a colloquial expression that means to become extremely frustrated or stressed to the point of desperation.

2. What are some common causes of feeling like you want to "tear your hair out"?

Common causes of feeling like you want to "tear your hair out" can include high levels of stress, overwhelming workloads, difficult relationships, and personal or professional setbacks.

3. Is it normal to feel like you want to "tear your hair out"?

Feeling overwhelmed or frustrated to the point of wanting to "tear your hair out" can be a normal response to challenging situations. However, if these feelings persist or significantly impact daily functioning, it may be helpful to seek support from a mental health professional.

4. How can I cope with the urge to "tear my hair out"?

There are many healthy coping mechanisms that can help manage the urge to "tear your hair out". Some examples include practicing deep breathing, engaging in physical activity, talking to a trusted friend or therapist, and finding healthy ways to release emotions such as journaling or creating art.

5. Can the urge to "tear your hair out" be a sign of a more serious issue?

In some cases, the urge to "tear your hair out" can be a symptom of a mental health disorder such as anxiety or depression. If you are experiencing persistent and overwhelming feelings of frustration or stress, it is important to speak with a mental health professional for a proper evaluation and treatment plan.