Pumping air into partially full beer bottles to preserve carbonation

• Thread starter Flatliner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Beer
In summary: CO2 cartridge in a soda or beer bottle and suck the gas out?This would create a high-pressure environment inside the bottle, which would help to preserve the carbonation. Alternatively, just buy smaller bottles!
Flatliner
I was thinking of buying a cheap device to pump air into large bottles of beer that I didn't finish drinking to keep up the carbonation for another day or so, but the following Amazon reviews of a similar more expensive device got me wondering if it's a waste of time and money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006331V/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The second reviewer, Erik L. Russell, M.D., (click on "See all 14 customer reviews..." and proceed to Page 2) brings up the law of partial pressure to debunk the usefulness of this device. Since the air being pumped into the bottle consists of only approximately 0.04% carbon dioxide (Dr. Erik claims 2%), is he correct that this device won't be effective? Or will the pressure of any gasses pushing down on the liquid prevent carbon dioxide from escaping?

Physics news on Phys.org
Flatliner said:
Or will the pressure of any gasses pushing down on the liquid prevent carbon dioxide from escaping?
Yes it will, however it will also force oxygen into the beer turning it stale.

mgb_phys said:
Yes it will, however it will also force oxygen into the beer turning it stale.
I realize oxygen is generally not great for beer (oxidation actually gives desired tastes in beers that age well), but I'd rather have a beer that hasn't gone flat than one that doesn't have a day's worth of oxidation (different story with red wine containing lots of tannins, and you'd use a vacuum pump for red wine anyway).

So why doesn't the principle of partial pressure render these types of products ineffective as Dr. Erik claimed?

I'm guessing the pressure inside a CO2 bubble is so high that you would have to pressurise the air above the bottle to a ridiculous amount to keep it in solution.

mgb_phys said:
I'm guessing the pressure inside a CO2 bubble is so high that you would have to pressurise the air above the bottle to a ridiculous amount to keep it in solution.
Now it seems you're saying these devices don't work. :confused:

I don't know the particular product claims - but i would be surprised if the couple of extra PSI you could put in a bottle with a wine-pump type gadget makes a significant difference to the amount of CO2 in solution as opposed to just putting the cork back in and keeping it cool.

mgb_phys said:
I don't know the particular product claims
"The champagne function pumps air into the bottle, preventing the dissipation of the bubbles and preserves your champagne for days."
mgb_phys said:
but i would be surprised if the couple of extra PSI you could put in a bottle with a wine-pump type gadget makes a significant difference to the amount of CO2 in solution as opposed to just putting the cork back in and keeping it cool.
Okay, I'm going to send for similar device, perform an experiment and I'll post the results here. :)

The pressure in a champagne bottle is about 3-4 atm so this gadget is going to need a hefty mechanism to hold it to the bottle and a fairly chunky pump to produce that.

mgb_phys said:
The pressure in a champagne bottle is about 3-4 atm so this gadget is going to need a hefty mechanism to hold it to the bottle and a fairly chunky pump to produce that.
You're assuming that the pressure that's present in an unopened bottle of champagne is necessary to prevent an appreciable loss of carbonation; a less amount of pressure may suffice. For instance, the amount of pressure present in the head space of a soda bottle is much less, but it's enough to keep the soda from going flat.

You could try my approach—don't quit drinking until the bottle is empty. :rolleyes:
On the other hand, beer stays acceptable until the next day when open. If it's going to be longer than that, just cork the bloody thing. In absence of a cork, a chunk of plastic such as Saran Wrap, held on with a rubber band, works fine for a couple of days.

There are little devices, screw on with a small pump, called fizz keepers you can buy that enable you to pump air into the bottle to increase the pressure, they also act as bottle tops as well. These stop most of the CO2 from leaking into the bottle, and they double the life of fizz in my experience, I think they are about £2 each. Simple and much cheaper than paying out on gas, nozzle and so on. They definitely work, but they do take some effort once the bottle is fairly empty.

Last edited:
Danger said:
You could try my approach—don't quit drinking until the bottle is empty. :rolleyes:

Alternatively, just buy smaller bottles!

Apart from keeping the fluid under pressure, you also need to ensure that the gas on the beer should be the right one and no bacteria inside (I'm not sure of this point though).

One idea that came to my mind is...why not pressurize the fluid itself?

The beer has to be carbonated from an originally non-carbonated state anyway. Couldn't you just find a way to just re-carbonate it period?

The Dagda said:
There are little devices, screw on with a small pump, called fizz keepers you can buy that enable you to pump air into the bottle to increase the pressure, they also act as bottle tops as well.
That's similar to the cheaper device I mentioned getting in the OP, but that's basically what the more expensive device in the Amazon link does.

dE_logics said:
Apart from keeping the fluid under pressure, you also need to ensure that the gas on the beer should be the right one
That's the question posed in the OP- Will ordinary air pressure pressing down on the beer in the bottle help keep the beer carbonated?

dE_logics said:
and no bacteria inside (I'm not sure of this point though
Bacteria is fine. The fermentation process is done and beer that's recapped and stored in the fridge for a few days doesn't suffer off-tastes from contamination, just from loss of carbonation and to some degree oxidation.

dE_logics said:
One idea that came to my mind is...why not pressurize the fluid itself?
Huh?

Math Jeans said:
The beer has to be carbonated from an originally non-carbonated state anyway. Couldn't you just find a way to just re-carbonate it period?
Possibly. But getting it just right would be difficult and I'm not interested in a complicated system. Also, I'm interested in the answer to the OP from a physics standpoint.

Math Jeans said:

The carbonation is produced by the yeast - only in 'fizzy beer-like drink' is CO2 added.

I agree with mgb, but don't see any mention of partial pressure here. All gases in a mixture act independently of each other and since air contains very little carbon dioxide, using pressurized air will have virtually no effect on how fast CO2 escapes from a beer. You'd need thousands of psi of air pressure to get the partial pressure of CO2 high enough to matter.

Of course they do actually work in practice though: and no I don't mean I assume they work, if you have an almost empty bottle it goes flat very quickly, but with those it lasts a few days, which is a problem for theory.

Over the long run the partial pressure problem will mean that your beer will go flat. But if you notice when you open a beer or a soda you get bubbles of CO2 all throughout the bottle. The pressure drop is enough so that CO2 comes out of solution in the middle of the bottle, basically anywhere it can find a nucleation site. By raising the pressure of the air in the bottle you limit the CO2 loss to the surface of the beer. If you have it in a cold refrigerator that is not disturbed you will definitely extend the life of the carbonation.

russ_watters said:
but don't see any mention of partial pressure here.
Would the partial pressure affect bubbles forming out of solution?
Isn't that just total pressure, otherwise the gas in solution at the bottom of the bottle has to 'know' what mixture of gasses are present in the air above the liquid.

mgb_phys said:
The carbonation is produced by the yeast - only in 'fizzy beer-like drink' is CO2 added.
That's true for bottle conditioned beer, but your average cheep macro beers (bud/miller/coors) are force carbonated. The CO2 produced during fermentation escapes through the airlock.

The other night I sent for a few cheaper devices that get good reviews and are supposed to perform well. When I get them I'll perform an experiment. First I'll store an unopened beer in the fridge. I'll empty another half way and cork it. A third bottle will also be emptied half way and this one will get the device. I'll wait 48 hrs and pour equal amounts into three glasses and test for visual differences and mouthfeel and taste. I'll post the results in this thread.

mgb_phys said:
Isn't that just total pressure, otherwise the gas in solution at the bottom of the bottle has to 'know' what mixture of gasses are present in the air above the liquid.
Good point.

mgb_phys said:
Good point. I wonder how much time that could really buy you.

russ_watters said:
Good point. I wonder how much time that could really buy you.

That is why one of the reasons I said that the refrigerator should undisturbed. The fewer vibrations etc. would keep the exchange of gases at the surface only. And in answer to a previous question, no the CO2 does not know what gas is causing the pressure. CO2's solubility is very pressure dependent. That is why these devices work, not perfectly but better than nothing at all. This also applies in the real world in why CO2 levels have historically followed temperature change and not led it (the opposite of what Al Gore would have you believe) the oceans are huge CO2 reservoirs that can only exchange CO2 on the surface. With various currents the ocean has it takes hundreds of years for it to come back into equilibrium after a change in temperature.

Subductionzon said:
And in answer to a previous question, no the CO2 does not know what gas is causing the pressure. CO2's solubility is very pressure dependent.

I don't think that's right.

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility#Solubility_of_gases" of CO2 should only be a function of the temperature and PARTIAL O2 pressure.

By Henry's Law: p_CO2 = constant * [CO2 (aq)]

I'm curious though (and I don't mean this as a rhetorical/jerkish question) --- have any of the customers done a blind test between two half-full beer/champagne bottles: one with the Epivac and one with just an air-tight stopper?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Pumping air into partially full beer bottles to preserve carbonation

What is the purpose of pumping air into partially full beer bottles?

The purpose of pumping air into partially full beer bottles is to help preserve the carbonation of the beer. When the bottle is partially full, there is more oxygen present which can cause the beer to go flat. By pumping air into the bottle, you are creating a barrier between the beer and the oxygen, helping to maintain the carbonation levels.

How much air should be pumped into a partially full beer bottle?

The amount of air that should be pumped into a partially full beer bottle may vary depending on the size of the bottle and the amount of beer remaining. Typically, it is recommended to pump in enough air to fill about one-third of the bottle, leaving the remaining two-thirds for the beer. This provides a good balance of air and beer to help preserve the carbonation.

Does pumping air into a partially full beer bottle affect the taste of the beer?

When done correctly, pumping air into a partially full beer bottle should not affect the taste of the beer. However, if too much air is pumped in, it may cause the beer to become oxidized and taste stale. It is important to only pump in enough air to create a barrier between the beer and the oxygen, without compromising the taste of the beer.

How long will pumping air into a partially full beer bottle preserve the carbonation?

The length of time that pumping air into a partially full beer bottle will preserve the carbonation can vary. It depends on factors such as the type of beer, the level of carbonation, and how well the bottle is sealed. In general, it can help maintain the carbonation for a few days to a week.

Are there any alternative methods for preserving carbonation in partially full beer bottles?

Yes, there are alternative methods for preserving carbonation in partially full beer bottles. Some people prefer to use a carbonation cap, which attaches to the bottle and allows you to inject CO2 gas to maintain the carbonation. Others may choose to transfer the remaining beer to a smaller bottle with less air space, or simply finish the beer to avoid any potential loss of carbonation.