Pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation

In summary, the conversation was about converting or calculating the actual pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation traces of ~20fs pulses. The suggested method was to use the pulse type to determine the time bandwidth product and then solve for the pulse duration. The person's pulse was Gaussian and they were unsure of how to extract this information from the autocorrelation trace. They provided a link to a resource and mentioned a possible answer of 1.5331, but were not certain.
Voxynn
Hi,

I have some interferometric autocorrelation traces of ~20fs pulses. Does anyone know how to convert to or calculate the actual pulse duration from the fringes of the trace?

Thanks,

Richard

Physics news on Phys.org
Are your pulses Gaussian, Sech, or Lorentzian?

Use the pulse type to figure out the time bandwidth product [tex]\delta t \delta \omega[/tex]. The spectrum tells you [tex]\delta \omega[/tex]. For example, a Gaussian has [tex]\delta t \delta \omega = \frac{2 \log 2}{\pi}[/tex].
Use this equation to solve for [tex]\delta t[/tex]

Woah sorry. [tex]\delta t \delta \omega[/tex] is [tex]4 \log 2[/tex]. What I quoted was [tex]\delta t \delta \nu[/tex]. In case you wonder, [tex]\nu[/tex] is ordinary frequency in hertz and [tex]\omega[/tex] is angular frequency.

My pulse is gaussian (or near enough). I know how to calculate time/bandwidth product for actual spectra (wavelength vs intensity etc) but how can I extract similar info from the autocorrelation trace? I've attached a picture of the trace I have.

Attachments

• autocorrelation.jpg
    autocorrelation.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 511
Units?

The data is taken from an oscilloscope, so the units are time and voltage (intensity).

Related to Pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation

1. What is pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation?

Pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation is a measurement used to determine the duration or length of a pulse of light. It is a technique that uses interferometry, which is the study of the interactions between two or more light waves, to determine the duration of a light pulse. This is an important measurement in fields such as laser physics, optics, and spectroscopy.

2. How is pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation measured?

Pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation is typically measured using an instrument called an autocorrelator. This instrument uses a nonlinear crystal to generate a second harmonic of the input pulse, which is then combined with the original pulse using an interferometer. By measuring the interference pattern, the pulse duration can be determined.

3. What is the significance of measuring pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation?

The pulse duration is a crucial parameter in many applications of laser and optical technology. For example, in femtosecond laser systems, the shorter the pulse duration, the higher the peak power and the greater the precision of the system. Measuring pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation allows researchers and engineers to optimize their systems for specific applications.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of pulse duration measurements from interferometric autocorrelation?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of pulse duration measurements from interferometric autocorrelation include the stability of the laser source, the quality of the nonlinear crystal used, and the alignment of the interferometer. Careful calibration and calibration checks can help minimize these sources of error.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring pulse duration from interferometric autocorrelation?

While interferometric autocorrelation is a commonly used technique for measuring pulse duration, it does have its limitations. For example, it is only accurate for pulses with durations shorter than the coherence time of the laser. Additionally, it may not be suitable for measuring pulses with extremely long or extremely short durations. In these cases, other techniques such as frequency-resolved optical gating (FROG) may be more appropriate.