Pulleys with Strings Having Mass

In summary: However, the mass of the string appears nowhere in the final answer. The string is not massless because the mass appears in the final answer, but it is not called mass in the problem statement.
Jzhang27143
Suppose there is a pulley (a disc) of mass m1 and a string passes over the pulley with masses m2 and m3 hanging on both ends of the string with m3 > m2. I know that the acceleration should be (m3 - m2)g/(1/2m1 + m2 + m3) and I know how to get there.

However, since the pulley rotates and has mass, the tensions are different on the two ends of the string. That would mean that the string is not massless because there would be an infinite acceleration if the string was massless. However, the mass of the string appears nowhere in the final answer. Why is this so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jzhang27143 said:
should be (m3 - m2)g/(1/2m1 + m2 + m3) and I know how to get there.
I(m1), since m1 is going to be rotating.
Jzhang27143 said:
infinite acceleration if the string was massless.
The problem statement has attached masses to the ends of the string.

I don't think I made myself clear. An identical problem is here: http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/semester1/c14_atwood2.html. My question is how we can assume the string is massless because it is clear that the tension of the two sides of the string is different (the pulley would not rotate if the tensions were the same.) Since the tensions are different, there is a net force somewhere on the string and that would yield infinite acceleration on the string if the string was massless.

Jzhang27143 said:
Since the tensions are different, there is a net force somewhere on the string
Why do you think that?

Jzhang27143 said:
Suppose there is a pulley (a disc) of mass m1 and a string passes over the pulley with masses m2 and m3 hanging on both ends of the string with m3 > m2. I know that the acceleration should be (m3 - m2)g/(1/2m1 + m2 + m3) and I know how to get there.

However, since the pulley rotates and has mass, the tensions are different on the two ends of the string. That would mean that the string is not massless because there would be an infinite acceleration if the string was massless. However, the mass of the string appears nowhere in the final answer. Why is this so?
The tensions are different in the two hanging parts of the string, but do not change along the length, if the string is massless. The tensions are the same at both ends of a string.

Related to Pulleys with Strings Having Mass

1. What is a pulley with strings having mass?

A pulley with strings having mass is a mechanical device that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or cable wrapped around it. The rope or cable is used to transmit force, allowing for weight to be lifted or moved.

2. How does a pulley with strings having mass work?

A pulley with strings having mass works by changing the direction of the applied force. When a force is applied to one end of the string, the other end pulls on an object, causing it to move. The pulley with strings having mass helps to distribute the force and allows for easier movement of the object.

3. What are the different types of pulleys with strings having mass?

There are three main types of pulleys with strings having mass: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys are attached to a structure and change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys are attached to the object being moved and reduce the effort needed to lift the object. Compound pulleys combine fixed and movable pulleys to create a mechanical advantage.

4. What is the importance of the mass of the strings in a pulley?

The mass of the strings in a pulley affects the overall efficiency and mechanical advantage of the system. Heavier strings have more inertia and may require more force to move, while lighter strings may be easier to move but may not be as durable. The mass of the strings also affects the amount of friction and tension in the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of pulleys with strings having mass?

Pulleys with strings having mass have a wide range of practical applications, including elevators, cranes, flagpoles, and sailboat rigging. They are also commonly used in exercise equipment, window blinds, and garage doors. In addition, pulleys with strings having mass are often used in physics experiments to demonstrate principles of mechanical advantage and force distribution.