Pulleys & Forces Homework: Struggling to Understand

In summary, Gneill is having trouble understanding a problem despite looking at the solution. He has drawn a free body diagram for each mass and understands the basic concepts of forces and acceleration. He needs to make more diagrams until he can visualize what's happening.
FeelTheFire

Homework Statement

Pulleys.png

Hey guys I'm really having problems understanding this despite looking at the solution, which is fully laid out here: http://iweb.tntech.edu/murdock/books/v1chap4.pdf

I know that m2 moves twice the distance that m1 moves. I have tried looking at each rope as a length that doesn't change made up of intervals that do change. I keep hitting a wall trying to come to the conclusion that 2a1 = a2.

I am doing pretty good understanding net forces, but this absolutely throws me for a loop. Any insight would be terrific.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you should always do in a mechanics problem is to draw a free body diagram for each mass. Your insight may show itself there.

Imagine that there are measurement rules positioned beside each mass for determining their positions and arranged so that at some given instant they both read zero (so they're synchronized). When the m1 rule reads some value, the other rule reads twice that. So the readings are related: x2 = 2x1. Differentiate both sides to find the velocity relationship. Differentiate again to find the acceleration relationship.

The thing is, once a displacement relationship is fixed it fixed the velocity and acceleration relationships with the same ratio. This applies anytime there are related rates.

Legaldose said:
The first thing you should always do in a mechanics problem is to draw a free body diagram for each mass. Your insight may show itself there.

Thanks for the reply. I have drawn a FBD for both pullies and both masses. Attached is as far as I got with what they tell me. *Edit* The m2g in the lower right corner should read m1g. My mistake.Gneill,
Thanks for the reply. The problem is I can't even get to that point. I only know that m2 moves twice as far as m1 because I looked at the solution. I can't, in mathematical terms, come to the conclusion that it displaces twice as far. I tried calling each length of rope it's own distance, with each changing but their sums always adding to the same number since the total rope length doesn't change. The problem I ran into was I kept getting circular answers, for instance Rope 1 length = Rope 1 length.

Attachments

• FBD's.png
    FBD's.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
You just need to make more diagrams until you can picture what's happening. Suppose a pulley is supported by a loop of rope, one end tied to the ceiling and the other passes though a hole in the ceiling. Now imagine lifting the pulley out of its rope cradle by some unit distance. How much rope "slack" would you have to pull through the hole in the ceiling to get the rope seated against the pulley again?

attachment.php?attachmentid=62788&stc=1&d=1381550422.gif

You should be able to see that there are two units of slack that must be gathered in in order to re-seat the pulley. So the pulley moves 1 unit, the rope moves 2 units.

This is the same situation as with your pulley setup. The wheel of the pulley is displaced by half the amount of the rope end moves, or conversely, the rope moves twice as far as the pulley moves.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 679

Related to Pulleys & Forces Homework: Struggling to Understand

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that uses a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable to change the direction of a force. It can also be used to multiply the force applied to an object.

2. How do pulleys work?

Pulleys work by distributing the weight of an object over multiple strands of rope or cable, which reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object. As the rope is pulled through the pulley, the weight is distributed evenly, allowing for easier movement.

3. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary object and change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys are attached to the object being moved and change both the direction and the amount of force needed. Compound pulleys combine fixed and movable pulleys to provide more mechanical advantage.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the weight of the object being moved by the force needed to move it. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and it takes 20 pounds of force to lift it using a pulley system, the mechanical advantage would be 100/20 = 5. This means the pulley system provides a mechanical advantage of 5, making it easier to lift the object.

5. How can I use pulleys to lift heavy objects?

Pulleys can be used to lift heavy objects by creating a pulley system that distributes the weight of the object over multiple pulleys and ropes. By using multiple pulleys, the force needed to lift the object is reduced, making it easier to lift. Additionally, compound pulleys can be used to provide even more mechanical advantage.