Pulley System Where String Breaks

So at the start, the velocity is 0. Then as they fall, the velocity increases until the string breaks.
jmlibunao

Homework Statement

Two particles A and B, of masses 2m kg and m kg respectively, are connected by a light inextensible string which passes over a fixed smooth pulley. The system is RELEASED from REST, with both portions of the string vertical and taut, while A and B are at the SAME HEIGHT.

1. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the particles and the tension in the string.

The string breaks when the speed of each particle is u m/s. Find, in terms of u, the difference in height between the particles A and B:

2. When the string breaks
3. When B reaches its highest point, assuming that A has not reached the ground and B has not reached the pulley.

Find the speed of A when B reaches its highest point.

Homework Equations

F = ma
g = 10 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(2m)(a) = (2m)(10 m/s^2) - T -- (1)
(m)(a) = T - (m)(10) -- (2)

(2m)(10) - (2m)(a) = (m)(a) + (m)(10)... Rearranging this in order to solve for a and I got
a = 3.33 m/^2 -- (3)

Plugging (3) in (1) or (2) in order to solve for T and I got 13.33Now can anyone help me with the rest? I'm lost with #2 and #3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you've found the acceleration then make use of it. How long does it take to reach a speed of u?

Once the string breaks, what's the acceleration of the masses?

I would use the kinematic equation vf = vi + at with my vi = 0 (since the system was released from rest) and my vf to be u. Solving for time, t, I'd get t = u/3.33

Wouldn't the acceleration the moment the string breaks still be 3.33 m/s^2 ??

jmlibunao said:
I would use the kinematic equation vf = vi + at with my vi = 0 (since the system was released from rest) and my vf to be u. Solving for time, t, I'd get t = u/3.33
Good. Keep going. How far has each moved during that time?

Wouldn't the acceleration the moment the string breaks still be 3.33 m/s^2 ??
Just after the string breaks, what forces act on the masses?

Okay. So I can get the respective displacements of each particle by using df = di + vt + (1/2)(a)(t^2), where v = u, and t = u/3.33. What I got for A was df = di - (u^2)/3.33 + (u^2)/2 [I subtracted them since A would be going down] while for B df = di - (u^2)/3.33 + (u^2)/2 [Added them since B would be going up]. Since the problem is asking for their difference, I subtracted these 2, leaving me with 2[(u^2)/3.33 + (u^2)/2]. Is that right?

I'm still not sure for #3 though. Still thinking it through.

Last edited:
jmlibunao said:
Okay. So I can get the respective displacements of each particle by using df = di + vt + (1/2)(a)(t^2), where v = u, and t = u/3.33.
Careful. u is the final velocity, not the initial. In that formula, v stands for the initial velocity.

Yeah, but at the moment the string breaks the initial velocity would be u, right?

jmlibunao said:
Yeah, but at the moment the string breaks the initial velocity would be u, right?
At the moment the string breaks, the velocity is u. That's given.

Whether that's the final or initial velocity depends on whether you are solving question 2 or question 3.

Wouldn't u be the initial velocity to be used when solving for #2 and #3? Once the string breaks you would have a new system (free fall) where in A would have an initial downward velocity of u while B would have an initial upward velocity of u as well. Is my logic correct?

For #3, what I'm thinking is still use u as my initial velocity and set my final velocity to be 0 since it's asking for the moment B reaches its highest point. I would then solve the distance traveled by B. I'd also solve for time, t, and then use t that to solve for the distance travel by A.

jmlibunao said:
Wouldn't u be the initial velocity to be used when solving for #2 and #3? Once the string breaks you would have a new system (free fall) where in A would have an initial downward velocity of u while B would have an initial upward velocity of u as well. Is my logic correct?
That logic is fine for #3, but not for #2. To find the distance they move from starting position to where the string breaks, u is the final velocity.

For #3, what I'm thinking is still use u as my initial velocity and set my final velocity to be 0 since it's asking for the moment B reaches its highest point. I would then solve the distance traveled by B. I'd also solve for time, t, and then use t that to solve for the distance travel by A.
That's good.

Doc Al said:
That logic is fine for #3, but not for #2. To find the distance they move from starting position to where the string breaks, u is the final velocity.

So what would be my initial velocity for #2? 0?

jmlibunao said:
So what would be my initial velocity for #2? 0?
Right. The system is released from rest.

Related to Pulley System Where String Breaks

1. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. When force is applied to one end of the rope, it causes the wheel to turn, which in turn can lift or move objects attached to the other end of the rope.

2. What happens when the string in a pulley system breaks?

When the string in a pulley system breaks, the load or object being lifted will fall to the ground. The broken string also means that the pulley system is no longer able to distribute the weight of the load evenly, making it more difficult to lift or move the object.

3. What are some causes of string breakage in a pulley system?

The most common causes of string breakage in a pulley system are overloading the system with too much weight, using a string that is too thin or weak for the load, and wear and tear on the string over time. It is important to regularly inspect and replace the string in a pulley system to prevent accidents.

4. How can string breakage in a pulley system be prevented?

To prevent string breakage in a pulley system, it is important to first determine the weight of the load and use a string that is strong enough to support it. Regular maintenance and inspection of the string and pulley system can also help identify any potential issues before they become a problem. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols when using a pulley system.

5. What are some alternatives to using a string in a pulley system?

Instead of using a string, a pulley system can also be operated using a chain or cable. These options may be stronger and more durable than a string, but they may also be more expensive. Additionally, some pulley systems may use a combination of both a string and a chain or cable for added strength and stability.