Pulley Question, mechanics question

In summary: Mentor! In summary, the particle A rises and accelerates upwards for a while until it touches the ground and the string slackens, causing the particle B to become a free projectile. The particle B travels a shorter distance than the particle A because it is rising and accelerating while the particle A is at rest.
Kajan thana

Homework Statement

Two particles A and B of mass 4kg and 3kg respectively are connected by a light inextensible string which passes over a small smooth pulley. The particles are released from rest with taut.

When A has traveled a distance of 2m it strikes the ground and immediately comes to rest.
Question: Assuming the B does hit the pulley find the greatest height that B reaches above its initial position.

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the the time it takes for the particle A to go down by 2m using this equation s=ut+0.5at^2.
The time is 1.69 rounded to two decimal place so if Particle A go down by 1.69 second thant the Particle B will go up by 1.69 second.

Now I know that for Particle B, U=0 A=-1.4 T=1.69 so using kinematics I can find the displace which will be -1.183m so the distance it goes by 1.183m. Which is a incorrect answer.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is the distance that particle B goes up different from the distance that particle A goes down in the 1.69 sec? Let's see your calculation of the acceleration.

Likes Kajan thana
Particle B is rising and accelerating upwards so long as the string is taut (particle A hasn't hit the ground). So when A hits the ground and the string goes slack, particle B will still have whatever velocity it achieved until that moment. It becomes a projectile launched with that initial speed upwards from that point. So when you wrote:

Kajan thana said:
Now I know that for Particle B, U=0 A=-1.4 T=1.69 so using kinematics I can find the displace which will be -1.183m so the distance it goes by 1.183m. Which is a incorrect answer.

You were not considering the new projectile status of particle B. At the instant particle B becomes a free projectile, the motion from its travels while moving due to A's influence are behind it. You need to consider the new situation for B from that point on.

Edit: Ah, Chestermiller got there before me with a much more subtle approach :smile:

Likes Kajan thana
Chestermiller said:
Why is the distance that particle B goes up different from the distance that particle A goes down in the 1.69 sec? Let's see your calculation of the acceleration.
4g-t=4a and t-3g=3a solving it with elimination will get you a=g/7 same as 9.8/7

Kajan thana said:
4g-t=4a and t-3g=3a solving it with elimination will get you a=g/7 same as 9.8/7
Good. So, since their accelerations are the same and their initial velocities are the same, how come they travel different distances in the same amount of time?

gneill said:
Particle B is rising and accelerating upwards so long as the string is taut (particle A hasn't hit the ground). So when A hits the ground and the string goes slack, particle B will still have whatever velocity it achieved until that moment. It becomes a projectile launched with that initial speed upwards from that point. So when you wrote:
You were not considering the new projectile status of particle B. At the instant particle B becomes a free projectile, the motion from its travels while moving due to A's influence are behind it. You need to consider the new situation for B from that point on.

Edit: Ah, Chestermiller got there before me with a much more subtle approach :smile:
Chestermiller said:
Good. So, since their accelerations are the same and their initial velocities are the same, how come they travel different distances in the same amount of time?

Thanks Mentor It made so much sense now after you clear explanation so just to make sure I understood the concept.
The acceleration I found is constant until it touches the ground after that it will change.

Kajan thana said:
Yes mentor I made wrong assumption I thought it is due to mass weight different but obviously it does not affect it.
So, are you OK now, and have you achieved the answer you desire?

Likes Kajan thana
Chestermiller said:
So, are you OK now, and have you achieved the answer you desire?
Yes I think I did mentor.

So there will be 2m distance caused by the particle A. Then when the particle A touches the ground the string no longer will taut so the acceleration can not be applied so I will apply a=-9.8 with the initial velocity as same as the instantaneous final velocity of particle A. and the final velocity will be 0. Using kinematics the answer will be 16/7.
Thanks again

Likes gneill and Chestermiller

Related to Pulley Question, mechanics question

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that goes around the wheel. The rope or belt can be used to lift or move objects by pulling on one end while the object is attached to the other end. The pulley works by changing the direction of the force needed to lift the object, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

2. How many types of pulleys are there?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, moveable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a fixed point and only changes the direction of the force applied. A moveable pulley is attached to the object being lifted, making it easier to lift the object. A compound pulley is a combination of fixed and moveable pulleys, providing both a change in direction and a mechanical advantage to lift heavy objects.

3. What is the difference between a single and double pulley?

A single pulley has one wheel with a groove and one rope or belt, while a double pulley has two wheels with grooves and one rope or belt. A double pulley provides a greater mechanical advantage and can lift heavier objects than a single pulley.

4. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force needed to lift it. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and it takes 50 pounds of force to lift it with a pulley, the mechanical advantage would be 2 (100/50=2).

5. Can pulleys be used for more than just lifting objects?

Yes, pulleys can also be used to change the direction of a force. For example, pulleys can be used in a flagpole to hoist a flag, or in a zip line to move people from one point to another. Pulleys are also used in various industrial and mechanical systems to transfer power and motion.