Pulley question assigning conventions

• Thread starter putongren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the pulleys and strings in the given diagram are massless and the strings do not stretch. The masses of the suspended blocks are m1 and m2, and their respective accelerations are a1 and a2. The equations of motion for the system can be expressed as T1 + m2g = m2a2 and T2 + T1 - m1g = -m1a1. By drawing individual free body diagrams and considering the displacement relationship between
putongren
upload_2016-2-3_18-17-9.png

In the diagram, the pulleys and the strings are massless. The strings do not stretch. The masses of the suspended blocks are m1 and m2, as shown. The magnitudes of the accelerations of the blocks are a1 and a2, respectively. I'm having trouble assigning the conventions for the variables. I assigned the motion downwards as positive.

1. Homework Statement

T1 = The string connecting m2, and the string connecting the two pulleys.
T2 = Left string connecting the left pulley.
a1 = acceleration of mass 1
a2 = acceleration of mass 2
m2
m1

Homework Equations

Result of FBD:

T1 + m2g = m2a2
T2 + T1 - m1g = - m1a1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So... I can't isolate a1 in terms of a2.

Physics news on Phys.org
putongren said:
View attachment 95262

In the diagram, the pulleys and the strings are massless. The strings do not stretch. The masses of the suspended blocks are m1 and m2, as shown. The magnitudes of the accelerations of the blocks are a1 and a2, respectively. I'm having trouble assigning the conventions for the variables. I assigned the motion downwards as positive.

1. Homework Statement

T1 = The string connecting m2, and the string connecting the two pulleys.
T2 = Left string connecting the left pulley.
If the pulleys and strings are massless, and the string is continuous, can there really be different tensions in different parts of the string?
a1 = acceleration of mass 1
a2 = acceleration of mass 2
m2
m1

Homework Equations

Result of FBD:

T1 + m2g = m2a2
T2 + T1 - m1g = - m1a1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So... I can't isolate a1 in terms of a2.
Make a sketch where you draw mass m1 in its initial position and then the situation where it has moved down by some distance d. How much more string, in total, is in the sections of string supporting the lowered pulley? Where must that string have come from? So by how much must mass m2 have risen?

If m1 is lowered by d, then m2 rose by d?

This is a constrained motion, wherein, the motion of the first pulley is linked to the second block. Try to understand that if the first pulley goes down by a distance d, then the second block will have to go up by a distance of 2d. If you are able to catch this, your question will be solved.
Hint: Draw INDIVIDUAL free body diagrams. That will make you clear.

Here's a diagram:

upload_2016-2-3_22-44-51.png

The pulley on the left descends a distance d. The added length to each of the string segments that support it are shown in red. The total added length has to come from somewhere...

Likes putongren and SDewan
Thank you for showing me how we get 2d. Do we do a FBD for each mass, pulley, or both? I don't understand how figuring out the distance to be 2d would lead to the solution.

putongren said:
Thank you for showing me how we get 2d. Do we do a FBD for each mass, pulley, or both? I don't understand how figuring out the distance to be 2d would lead to the solution.
In your first post you indicated that you were having a hard time relating the two accelerations. You now have a relationship for the two displacements. The same relationship will hold for velocities and accelerations since the motions are constrained by this fixed relationship.

How does the mathematical formalism work?

It's a matter of differentiating displacement to get the velocity relationship, and differentiating again to get the acceleration relationship. The constant 2 is carried along. So for example, if x1 and x2 are the two displacements related by x2 = 2x1, then

##\frac{dx_2}{dt} = 2\frac{dx_2}{dt}~~~## or, ##~~~v_2 = 2 v_1##

Related to Pulley question assigning conventions

What are pulley question assigning conventions?

Pulley question assigning conventions refer to the universally accepted method of assigning labels or numbers to pulley systems in order to analyze and solve physics problems involving them.

Why are pulley question assigning conventions important?

Having a consistent and standardized way of labeling pulleys in a system allows for easier communication and understanding of the problem among scientists and students. It also helps to avoid confusion and mistakes when solving the problem.

What is the common convention for assigning labels to pulleys?

The common convention is to label the pulleys with uppercase letters, starting with the letter A for the fixed pulley and continuing in alphabetical order for each additional pulley in the system.

How are the ropes labeled in a pulley system using the conventions?

The ropes in a pulley system are labeled with lowercase letters corresponding to the pulleys they are attached to. For example, if a rope is attached to pulley B, it would be labeled as "b".

Can the pulley question assigning conventions be modified or changed?

While the common convention is widely accepted and used, it is ultimately up to the individual or organization to decide on their own labeling system. However, it is important to maintain consistency and clarity in order to effectively solve the problem.