Pulley question about a mass on a string

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a pulley system where an object is supported by a light rope and accelerates downward at 5.0 m/s^2. The conversation includes four parts to solve, including finding the tension in the rope, the torque on the pulley, the angular acceleration of the pulley, and the moment of inertia of the pulley. The relevant equation used is F=T+ma=0, and after some discussion, it is determined that the correct answer for the tension is 2.5 N.
slain4ever

Homework Statement

i'm having a lot of trouble with this question.

A pulley, consisting of a 0.40 m diameter wheel mounted on a horizontal frictionless axle, is firmly attached to the ceiling. A light rope wrapped around the pulley supports a 0.50 kg object, as shown in the diagram below. Any motion of the rope causes the pulley to turn, with no slipping between the rope and pulley. When released from rest, the object accelerates downward at 5.0 m/s2.

1) find the tension in the rope.
2) the torque on the pulley from the rope
3) the angular acceleration of the pulley
4) the moment of inertia of the pulley.

Homework Equations

F=T+ma = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on the first part i keep getting 2.5N since the tension = ma it should be T=5m/s^2 * 0.5 kg but the answers say 2.4N and I can't figure out why. I am assuming it has something to do with the pulley but since it is frictionless i don't see how it adds tension.

Physics news on Phys.org
slain4ever said:
Relevant equations

F=T+ma = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on the first part i keep getting 2.5N since the tension = ma it should be T=5m/s^2 * 0.5 kg but the answers say 2.4N and I can't figure out why. I am assuming it has something to do with the pulley but since it is frictionless i don't see how it adds tension.
Look at your relevant equation again,T does not = ma. Use your relevant equation by first identifying the value of F acting on the object.

f= ma
0.5 kg * 5 m/s^2
=2.5 N

looking at the forces acting on the object, its weight acts down and the tension acts up. Since the object is falling and accelerating down, the weight force must be greater than the tension force, thus, from Newton 2,
F_net = ma
mg -T =ma
Solve for T.
Note that tension forces always pull away from the objects on which they act, and that acceleration is always in the direction of the net force.

I would approach this question by first understanding the basic concepts involved. A pulley is a simple machine that can change the direction of a force and can also multiply the force applied. In this case, the pulley is attached to the ceiling and the object is suspended by a rope that is wrapped around the pulley. The force of gravity is acting on the object, causing it to accelerate downward at 5.0 m/s^2.

To find the tension in the rope, we can use Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all the forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In this case, the object is not accelerating horizontally, so the sum of the forces in that direction is equal to zero. This means that the tension in the rope must be equal to the force of gravity acting on the object. Therefore, the tension in the rope can be calculated as T = mg = (0.50 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 4.9 N.

Next, we can calculate the torque on the pulley from the rope. Torque is the product of force and distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, the force acting on the pulley is the tension in the rope, and the distance from the axis of rotation is the radius of the pulley, which is 0.20 m. Therefore, the torque can be calculated as T = Fr = (4.9 N)(0.20 m) = 0.98 Nm.

To find the angular acceleration of the pulley, we can use the equation for rotational motion, which states that the net torque on an object is equal to its moment of inertia times its angular acceleration. In this case, the net torque is the torque from the rope, and the moment of inertia of a disk is equal to 1/2 * mass * radius^2. Therefore, the angular acceleration can be calculated as α = τ/I = (0.98 Nm)/(1/2 * 0.50 kg * (0.20 m)^2) = 19.6 rad/s^2.

Finally, we can calculate the moment of inertia of the pulley. As mentioned before, for a disk, the moment of inertia is equal to 1/2 * mass * radius^2. Therefore, the moment of inertia can be calculated as I = 1/2 * (

Related to Pulley question about a mass on a string

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable running along the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of the force applied.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by using the concept of mechanical advantage. By changing the direction of the force applied, a pulley can reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. The more pulleys you have, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it is to lift the object.

What is the formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of a pulley?

The formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of a pulley is MA = (radius of wheel)/(radius of axle). This means that the larger the radius of the wheel compared to the radius of the axle, the greater the mechanical advantage.

How does a mass on a string affect the mechanical advantage of a pulley?

A mass on a string can affect the mechanical advantage of a pulley by increasing the force required to lift the object. The weight of the mass adds to the overall force needed to lift the object, so the mechanical advantage of the pulley system will be reduced.

How do you calculate the tension in a string attached to a pulley?

The tension in a string attached to a pulley can be calculated using the formula T = (mass of object)(acceleration due to gravity) + (mass of string)(acceleration due to gravity). This takes into account the weight of the object and the weight of the string itself.