Pulley Problem: Speed after falling a known distance

In summary, the problem involves a 1.2 kg block being released from rest and tied to a string wrapped around a pulley with a radius of 7 cm. The pulley is assumed to be a uniform disk with a mass of 0.37 kg. The goal is to find the speed of the block after it has fallen through a height of 0.43 m. The equations used include F=mrω^2 and F=mg, and the conversion from meters to centimeters was incorrectly done. Friction is assumed to be negligible and the tension and acceleration are the same for both the block and the pulley. A free body diagram should be drawn for each and equations such as ƩF=ma
frownifdown
A 1.2·kg block is tied to a string that is wrapped around the rim of a pulley of radius 7·cm. The block is released from rest.

Assuming the pulley is a uniform disk with a mass of 0.37·kg, find the speed of the block after it has fallen through a height of 0.43·m.

2. F=mrω^2 and possibly F=mg and v=r*omega
3. I wasn't sure how to do this problem at all. I looked around online for help and got a little bit but I'm still unsure. I used F=mg to determine the F then used that to determine ω^2. Is that correct? Obviously there would be more to the problem but this is as far as I got and I'm not even sure if it's correct.

So I got F=11.76 by multiplying 1.2kg * 9.8m/s^2 which I then put in the equation for 11.76=(.37kg)(.07m)w^2 and then got 21.3 for omega. This seems high and is probably due to the conversion from CM to M which I'm unsure is correct. Assuming it is I moved on and put that omega value 21.3 into v=wr for v=21.3*.07 and got 1.49 which is incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on the friction of the pulley.

adjacent said:
That depends on the friction of the pulley.

I believe it's assumed frictionless because friction isn't mentioned

Conversion from meters to cm is wrong.(thats all I know) 7/1000 is 0.007m

adjacent said:
Conversion from meters to cm is wrong.(thats all I know) 7/1000 is 0.007m

Isn't a centimeter 1/100th of meter?

Ah.Sorry,I was mistaken.You are right.

It seems you didn't read this part(find the speed of the block after it has fallen through a height of 0.43·m. Hope it helps.

You need to consider the pulley and the mass separately. What they have in common are the tension in the string and the acceleration. Draw a FBD for each and write out the equations (ƩF=ma etc.)

Related to Pulley Problem: Speed after falling a known distance

1. How does gravity affect the speed of an object falling using a pulley system?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth. In a pulley system, the weight of the object creates a downward force, causing it to accelerate towards the ground. As the object falls, its speed increases due to the continuous pull of gravity.

2. What factors influence the speed of an object falling using a pulley system?

The speed of an object falling using a pulley system is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the object, the length and angle of the rope, and the amount of friction in the pulley system. The weight of the object is the most significant factor, as it determines the force of gravity acting on the object.

3. How can the speed of an object falling using a pulley system be calculated?

The speed of an object falling using a pulley system can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height or distance the object has fallen. This formula assumes that there is no air resistance and the object starts from rest.

4. Does the speed of an object falling using a pulley system change if the distance is doubled?

According to the formula v = √(2gh), the speed of an object falling using a pulley system is directly proportional to the height or distance the object has fallen. This means that if the distance is doubled, the speed will also double. However, this only applies if there is no air resistance and the object starts from rest.

5. Can the speed of an object falling using a pulley system be greater than the speed of freefall?

No, the speed of an object falling using a pulley system cannot be greater than the speed of freefall. This is because the pulley system only changes the direction of the force acting on the object, but it does not alter the force itself. Therefore, the object will still accelerate towards the ground at the same rate as if it were freefalling.