Pulley on inclined plane problem

In summary, the conversation discusses two blocks tied together on an incline, with one block on a 30 degree incline and a pulley connecting it to a 2 kg block. Both the pulley and incline are frictionless. The acceleration of the 1 kg block up the incline is 4.9m/s^2, determined using Ʃf=ma. The tension in the string joining the two blocks is 29N, calculated using Ʃf=ma and taking into account the weight of the 2 kg block. The direction of the acceleration of the 2 kg block is not specified.
gdhillon
Q:Two blocks are tied together on an incline The first box is on a 30 degree incline with he horizontal and is 1 KG, the wire from it runs over a pulley that goes to a mass of 2KG . If both the pulley and the incline are frictionless:
a) What is the acceleration of the 1.0 kg block up the incline?
b) What is the tension in the string joining the two blocks.

I first found the FG of the 1KG block and from that used sohcahtoa to get my normal force and my fapp (-9.8sin30) negative because it is 'wanting' to go down the incline away from the 2kg mass. For a) I used Ʃf=ma, 19.6-(9.8sin30)=3a acceleration is 4.9m/s^2
for b) I used Ʃf=ma and had T-19.6=2(4.9) and got tension=29N

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gdhillon said:
Q:Two blocks are tied together on an incline The first box is on a 30 degree incline with he horizontal and is 1 KG, the wire from it runs over a pulley that goes to a mass of 2KG . If both the pulley and the incline are frictionless:
a) What is the acceleration of the 1.0 kg block up the incline?
b) What is the tension in the string joining the two blocks.

I first found the FG of the 1KG block and from that used sohcahtoa to get my normal force and my fapp (-9.8sin30) negative because it is 'wanting' to go down the incline away from the 2kg mass.
gravity wants to pull it down, but the tension wants to pull it up. Tension wins.
For a) I used Ʃf=ma, 19.6-(9.8sin30)=3a acceleration is 4.9m/s^2
yes, what direction?
for b) I used Ʃf=ma and had T-19.6=2(4.9) and got tension=29N
No. In what direction is the acceleration of the 2 kg block?

Related to Pulley on inclined plane problem

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the pulley system?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the mechanical advantage of the pulley system. As the angle increases, the effort required to lift the load decreases, but the distance the effort must travel also increases. This means that the ideal angle for the inclined plane depends on the specific requirements of the task at hand.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the load and the effort required to lift it on an inclined plane?

The relationship between the mass of the load and the effort required to lift it on an inclined plane is inversely proportional. This means that as the mass of the load increases, the effort required to lift it also increases. However, by using an inclined plane and a pulley system, the effort required can be significantly reduced.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage of the system?

The more pulleys there are in a system, the higher the mechanical advantage. This is because each additional pulley reduces the amount of effort required to lift the load. In a system with multiple pulleys, the mechanical advantage can be calculated by counting the number of sections of rope supporting the load.

4. Can an inclined plane and pulley system be used to exert a greater force than the effort applied?

Yes, an inclined plane and pulley system can be used to exert a greater force than the effort applied. This is due to the principle of mechanical advantage, where the load is spread out over a larger distance, resulting in a smaller effort required to lift it. However, the trade-off is that the load must be lifted over a longer distance.

5. What are some real-world applications of the pulley on inclined plane problem?

The pulley on inclined plane problem has many real-world applications, such as in construction and engineering, where it is used to lift heavy materials to higher levels. It is also used in transportation systems, such as ski lifts and escalators. Additionally, the principles of this problem are utilized in various machines and tools, such as cranes and elevators, to make lifting heavy objects easier and more efficient.