Pulley on an Incline: Finding Mass & Acceleration

In summary, the pulley system with flat weights connected by a light rope and a light pulley can be balanced by having a mass of 0.76 kg on m2. The acceleration of the weights can be calculated using the formula a= (m2g - m1*g*sinθ - μ*m1*g*cosθ) / (m1 + m2), and for m2 being twice the weight the acceleration is 2.96 m/s², and for m2 being half the weight the acceleration is -2.7 m/s².
mmoadi

Homework Statement

Flat weights on a picture are connected by a light rope by a light pulley. How much at most (at least) does mass m2 have to be to balance the pulley, if mass m1 = 1 kg. With how much acceleration do the weights move, if the mass m2 of the weight is replaced with a twice heavier (lighter) weight? Ratio of friction between the weight with mass m1 and the surface is 0.3

Homework Equations

F1= m1g sinα μk
F2= m2g
F1 – F2= a(m1 + 2m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

m1= 1 kg
μk= 0.3
α= 30°
m2=?
a= ?

For finding the m2:
F1 = F2
m1g sinα μk = m2g
m2= 0.15 kg

For finding the acceleration, if m2 is double the weight:
F1 – F2= a(m1 + 2m2)
g(m1 sinα μk – 2m2) = a(m1 + 2m2)
a= 1.51 m/s²

For finding the acceleration, if m2 is half the weight:
F1 – F2= a(m1 + ½m2)
g(m1 sinα μk – ½m2) = a(m1 + ½m2)
a= 3.87 m/s²

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please tell me if I calculated correctly? Thank you!

I don't understand where you're getting your angles from, unless one of the masses is also on a ramp? Can you describe the geometry of the setup a little better?

I attached the picture of the pulley system. Hope it will make the problem clearer.
Thanks for helping!

Attachments

• FI2.bmp
    275.7 KB · Views: 486
Your calculation of F1 is wrong.
On m1 two forces are acting. What are they? Draw FBD.

OK, I added the forces to the picture.

F1 is decomposed into F1a and F1b and because F1a and -f1a cancel each other I assumed there is only one force left working on m1, which is F1b (= m1g sinα μk).

Where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• FI3.bmp
    286.5 KB · Views: 466
After looking at the picture and thinking really, really hard, I remembered the tension of the rope. Does this too has to be considered when calculating F1?

Forces acting on m1 are the component of weight and frictional force in the downward direction and tension in the upward direction.
What is the frictional force?

Fk= μkN
N= mg

So the sum of the forces working in y direction are 0, because they cancel each other out.
But the sum of forces working on x direction taking tension into the consideration would be
T- m1g sinα?

I think I lost you.
So, we have tension of the rope, which is pulling in the direction upwards. Does this mean that tension is connected with m2 and I can write T= m2g?

If my upper conclusions are correct, does the formula for F1 now rewrites to:
F1= T- m1g sinα= m2g -m1g sinα, and I can now from this formula calculate m2?

I'm desperate!

Last edited:
mmoadi said:
Fk= μkN
N= mg
N is m1g*cosθ

Τ - m1*g*sinθ - μ*m1*g*cosθ = m1a ...(1)
For m2
m2*g - T = m2*a...(2)
From eq 1 and 2 find a and equate them. Then solve for T.
Then substitute T is either eq 1 or 2 to find a.

Last edited:
Hello! for the second equation are you sure that the tention is negative? because i read that it always should be positive! and could you explain what to do to solve the acceleration and tension, that would help a lot! thank you in advance!

If the tension is positive in the second equation i think the m2 should be .24 kg, right!

Body accelerates in the direction of the net force.In the second case, if 2m2 is moving down, then 2m2*g must be greater than T. So net force = 2m2*g - T = 2m2*a.

OK, let's start from the beginning.

The first part of the problem is asking us to find weight of m2 that will make the system to be in equilibrium.

As you see I made some approaches to solve this part of the problem, but I obviously didn't succeed. Can you please give me some hint?

I think that having m2 known will make the rest of the problem much much easier to solve, because I think I understand your explanation how to merge the formulas and finding T and a.

Thank you for your time and patience!

Τ - m1*g*sinθ - μ*m1*g*cosθ = m1a ...(1)
For m2
m2*g - T = m2*a...(2)
In the above equations, put a = 0 and solve for m2.

So by putting a=0 into the above equations I ended with equation:

m1*g*sinθ + μ*m1*g*cosθ = m2*g

and solved for m2= 0.76 kg.

I really hope I'm correct!

Last edited:
So, if I understood correctly, by adding the equations for m1 and m2 I should get the formula for acceleration which would be

a= (m2g - m1*g*sinθ - μ*m1*g*cosθ) / (m1 + m2)

and playnig with weight (once double the weight, once half the weight for m2) I should be able to get the correct results?

I did the the calculations and get this results:

for 2m2 (double the weight) the a= 2.96 m/s²
for 1/2 m2 (half the weight) the a= - 2.7 m/s²

Did I get it right?

Related to Pulley on an Incline: Finding Mass & Acceleration

1. What is a pulley on an incline?

A pulley on an incline is a simple machine consisting of a rope or cable wrapped around a wheel or pulley that is attached to an inclined surface. This allows for the movement of objects up or down the incline with less force than would be required without the pulley.

2. How is mass calculated in a pulley on an incline experiment?

Mass can be calculated in a pulley on an incline experiment by using the equation: m = (m1-m2) / (a1-a2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley, and a1 and a2 are the accelerations of those masses.

3. How does an incline affect the acceleration of a pulley?

An incline can affect the acceleration of a pulley by changing the direction of the force being applied. Inclines can also increase or decrease the effective mass being moved by the pulley, which can affect the acceleration.

4. What are the potential sources of error in a pulley on an incline experiment?

Some potential sources of error in a pulley on an incline experiment include friction in the pulley system, inaccurate measurements of mass and acceleration, and external factors such as air resistance. It is important to minimize these errors as much as possible to obtain accurate results.

5. How can the results of a pulley on an incline experiment be used in real-world applications?

The results of a pulley on an incline experiment can be used in real-world applications to understand and improve upon various machines and systems that utilize pulleys, such as elevators, cranes, and conveyor belts. Understanding the relationship between mass and acceleration in a pulley system can also aid in the design and optimization of these machines.