Pulley free body question - what am I doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a non-extensible cable attached to a ceiling with two masses attached to it. The goal is to find a formula for the acceleration of one of the masses in terms of the masses and the gravitational constant. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the problem and examples to check the solution. Ultimately, the correct formula is determined to be a = 2g(m2-2m1)/(m2-4m1).
johnschmidt

Homework Statement

Note that the FAQ is not clear if I am required to use LaTeX for formatting formulas. I have not used LaTeX, but I will retype my question if I am violating the rules. Please let me know :-)

Non-extensible cable attached to ceiling. Cable goes down, around a pulley and then back up, then over another pulley and down. At the end of the cable is mass 1. Hanging from the first pulley is mass 2. I am trying to find a formula for the acceleration of M1 as a function of the mass of 1 and 2.

Homework Equations

I have set g = -9.8m/s^2 (positive acceleration is up, negative is down)

I have a free-body diagram for mass 1:

Total force on mass 1: f1 = f1(up) + f1(down)
f1(up) is the force imparted by the cable pulling up
f1(down) = m1 * g

And for mass 2:

Total force on mass 2: f2 = 2 * f2(up) + f2(down)
f2(up) is the force imparted by each of the two cables lifting on the pulley above mass 2.
f2(down) = m2 * g

I set also f2(up) = f1(up) since the same cable that holds mass 1 also goes to the pulley for mass 2. This is my first question - is this assumption of the forces upward correct?

I also say that because of the pulley arrangement the acceleration of mass 1 (a1) = 2 * the acceleration of mass 2 (a2). I say this because the velocity of mass 1 is double the velocity of mass 2 (due to the pulley arrangement).

So we have:

a1 = 2 * a2
f2(up) = f1(up)
a1 = (f1(up) + f1(down)) / m1
a2 = (2 * f2(up) + f2(down)) / m2

Is this correct so far?

The Attempt at a Solution

Then I try to solve for a1 in terms of m1 and m2.

First, solve for f1(up) in terms of a1:

a2 = (2 * f2(up) + f2(down)) / m2
a2 * m2 = 2 * f2(up) + f2(down)
a2 * m2 = 2 * f1(up) + m2 * g
(a2 * m2) - (m2 * g) = 2 * f1(up)
((a2 * m2) - (m2 * g)) / 2 = f1(up)
(((a1 / 2) * m2) - (m2 * g)) / 2 = f1(up)

Now plug this into the original a1 equation:

a1 = (f1(up) + f1(down)) / m1
a1 = ((((a1 / 2) * m2) - (m2 * g)) / 2 + f1(down)) / m1
a1 = ((((a1 / 2) * m2) - (m2 * g)) / 2 + m1 * g) / m1
a1 * m1 = (((a1 / 2) * m2) - (m2 * g)) / 2 + m1 * g
2 * a1 * m1 = (a1 / 2) * m2 - (m2 * g) + 2 * m1 * g
2 * a1 * m1 - (a1 / 2) * m2 = 2 * m1 * g - (m2 * g)
a1 * (2 * m1 - m2 / 2) = g * (2 * m1 - m2)
a1 = (g * (2 * m1 - m2)) / (2 * m1 - m2 / 2)

Now, as a sanity check, I try some examples:

Example 1:

m1 = 1 kg
m2 = 2 kg
(I would expect this to show no acceleration)

a1 = (-9.8 (2 * 1 - 2)) / (2 * 1 - 2 / 2) = 0
good!

Example 2:

m1 = 1.1 kg
m2 = 2 kg
(I would expect this to show a slow negative acceleration as m1 falls to the floor)

(-9.8 (2 * 1.1 - 2)) / (2 * 1.1 - 2 / 2) = -1.96 / 1.2 = -1.63 m/s^2
good!

Example 3:

m1 = 0.9 kg
m2 = 2 kg
(I would expect this to show a slow positive acceleration as m1 rises to the ceiling)

(-9.8 (2 * 0.9 - 2)) / (2 * 0.9 - 2 / 2) = 1.96 / 0.8 = 2.45 m/s^2
good!

Example 4:

m1 = 0.1 kg
m2 = 2 kg
(I would expect this to show a fast positive acceleration as m1 rises quickly to the ceiling)

(-9.8 (2 * 0.1 - 2)) / (2 * 0.1 - 2 / 2) = 17.64 / -0.8 = -22.05

Huh?

I have been through this several (many!) times and cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone offer some insight?

Additionally, with m1 = 0.5 kg the equation produces zero in the denominator, which is probably not right :-/

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I set up the problem a little differently . I said..

m1g - f(up) = m1a
m2g-2F(up) = m2(a/2)

I solved for a and got

a = 2g(m2-2m1)/(m2-4m1)

for m1 = 1 and m2 = 2 a = 0
for m1 = 1.1 and m2 = 2 a = -1.635
for m1=.9 and m2 = 2 a = 2.45

You mixed up the signs. The block 1 and 2 move in opposite directions so a1=-2a2.

It is a bit difficult to follow your notations. The upward forces come from the tension in the string, and it is the same everywhere if the pulleys and the string itself are massless. We usually denote the tension by T. Taking upward the positive direction, you have the equations

m1a1=T-m1g
m2a2=2T-m2g
and a1=-2a2

ehild

Attachments

• twopulleys.JPG
    twopulleys.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 384
I tried to use your notation. F(up) is the same as T.
I am using F = ma for both masses to get the two equations.
For m2, F = m2g - 2T
for m1 F = m1g - T

m1g - T = m1a
m2g-2T = m2(a/2)

solve for T in both equations, T = T can solve for a in terms of m1 and m2.I solved for a and got

a = 2g(m2-2m1)/(m2-4m1)

for m1 = 1 and m2 = 2 a = 0
for m1 = 1.1 and m2 = 2 a = -1.635
for m1=.9 and m2 = 2 a = 2.45

barryj said:
I tried to use your notation. F(up) is the same as T.
I am using F = ma for both masses to get the two equations.
For m2, F = m2g - 2T
for m1 F = m1g - T

m1g - T = m1a
m2g-2T = m2(a/2)

If a is the acceleration of m1, the acceleration of m2 can not be a/2, as they move in opposite directions (one upward, the other downward).

ehild

barryj said:
I set up the problem a little differently . I said..

m1g - f(up) = m1a
m2g-2F(up) = m2(a/2)

I solved for a and got

a = 2g(m2-2m1)/(m2-4m1)

Hi barryj,

You have the same problem I do where for certain values of m1 and m2 you get a zero in the denominator.

Last edited:
ehild said:
You mixed up the signs. The block 1 and 2 move in opposite directions so a1=-2a2.

It is a bit difficult to follow your notations. The upward forces come from the tension in the string, and it is the same everywhere if the pulleys and the string itself are massless. We usually denote the tension by T. Taking upward the positive direction, you have the equations

m1a1=T-m1g
m2a2=2T-m2g
and a1=-2a2

ehild

Yes, you're right! The wrong sign on a was the key.

Now I get:

a1 = 2g(2m1 - m2) / (m1*p^2 + m2)

Plugging in -9.8m/s^2 for g gives:

m1 = 2 kg
m2 = 2 kg
a1 = -3.92 m/s^2

m1 = 1 kg
m2 = 2 kg
a1 = 0 m/s^2

m1 = 0.9 kg
m2 = 2 kg
a1 = 0.7 m/s^2

m1 = 0.5 kg
m2 = 2 kg
a1 = 4.9 m/s^2

m1 = 0.1 kg
m2 = 2 kg
a1 = 14.72 m/s^2

And no more possibility of zero in the denominator (unless both m1 and m2 are zero).

Thanks!

Hmmmmm... Good points from both of you.

I'll have to think about this. I assumed I was correct since the sanity checks were sane,

Related to Pulley free body question - what am I doing wrong?

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift heavy objects. When one end of the rope is pulled, the object attached to the other end will be lifted.

2. How do I calculate the forces involved in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the forces involved are the effort force (input force) and the load force (output force). The effort force is the force applied to the rope or belt, while the load force is the weight of the object being lifted. To calculate these forces, you can use the formula: Load force = Effort force x Mechanical advantage.

3. What is mechanical advantage and how does it relate to pulleys?

Mechanical advantage is the ratio of the output force to the input force in a simple machine. In a pulley system, the mechanical advantage is equal to the number of ropes supporting the load. For example, if there are two ropes supporting the load, the mechanical advantage is 2. This means that the effort force needed to lift the load is half of the load force.

4. Why does my pulley system seem to be not working properly?

There could be several reasons why your pulley system is not working properly. It could be due to friction in the pulley, incorrect placement or orientation of the pulley, or unequal weights on either side of the pulley. It is important to ensure that the pulley is well lubricated, properly aligned, and the weights are balanced for the system to work effectively.

5. How can I use multiple pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage?

To increase the mechanical advantage in a pulley system, you can use multiple pulleys in a configuration called a block and tackle. This involves attaching multiple pulleys to the load and effort force, which increases the mechanical advantage and makes it easier to lift heavier objects. The mechanical advantage in a block and tackle system is equal to the number of ropes supporting the load on the moving block.