Pulley Acceleration and Tension Relations

• Thread starter inv4lid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the problem involves determining the acceleration of three bodies with masses 25kg, 1kg, and 3kg, and the tension of two ropes. The friction and mass of the pulley are neglected. The problem can be solved using the equations T1-G1= m1*a; and T2-G2-G3 = -(m2+m3)*a;, assuming the accelerations are the same. If the accelerations are not the same, the problem becomes more complicated. However, if we assume that the pulley is ideal, meaning it changes the direction but not magnitude of tension, we can find a relation between T1 and T2 which can then be used to solve the problem.
inv4lid

Homework Statement

Determine bodies' acceleration if their masses are the following: m1 = 25kg, m2 = 1kg, m3 = 3kg and the Tension of the ropes. Friction is neglected, as well as the mass of the pulley. It is considered that the ropes are perfect.

ta29Rnv7RYGxQ93HZbQQpg.png

m1 = 25kg;
m2=1kg;
m3=3kg;
#

Homework Equations

For the first object we have:
T1-G1= m1*a; (the acceleration is oriented upwards)
a = (T1-G1)/m1;
For next ones, I guess:
The acceleration here goes downwards
T2-G2-G3 = -(m2+m3)*a;
a = (T2-G2 - G3) / -(m2 + m3)

Are the accelerations the same?
How would i find it?

Attachments

• ta29Rnv7RYGxQ93HZbQQpg.png
    ta29Rnv7RYGxQ93HZbQQpg.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 328
Physics news on Phys.org
inv4lid said:
Are the accelerations the same?
What would happen if the accelerations were not the same?
You may safely assume that this is an ideal pulley, i.e. it changes the direction of the tension but not its magnitude. This will simplify your work.

kuruman said:
What would happen if the accelerations were not the same?
You may safely assume that this is an ideal pulley, i.e. it changes the direction of the tension but not its magnitude. This will simplify your work.
I need to get some numbers. How would i get the tension/acceleration? There is too much unknown data.
(i guess we can't get any of T)

inv4lid said:
I need to get some numbers. How would i get the tension/acceleration? There is too much unknown data.
(i guess we can't get any of T)
I think kuruman is trying to get you to relate ##T_{1}## to ##T_{2}##. If the pulley is ideal (frictionless and massless) what is the relation? Once you have the relation, you can solve the algebraic system.

Related to Pulley Acceleration and Tension Relations

1. How does a pulley work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove, a rope or cable, and a load. When a force is applied to the rope, the pulley rotates, allowing the load to be lifted or moved in a different direction. The pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the load by distributing it over multiple ropes or cables.

2. Can a pulley be used to lift more than one object at a time?

Yes, a pulley can be used to lift multiple objects at once. By attaching multiple objects to the same rope or cable, the pulley system distributes the weight of the objects evenly, making it easier to lift them.

3. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force being applied. A movable pulley is attached to the load and moves with it, allowing for a mechanical advantage and reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the amount of force needed to lift an object?

The more pulleys there are in a system, the less force is required to lift an object. This is because each additional pulley increases the mechanical advantage of the system, making it easier to lift the load.

5. Can a pulley system be used to move objects horizontally?

Yes, a pulley system can be used to move objects horizontally. By attaching the rope or cable to a fixed point and pulling it in a direction perpendicular to the movement of the load, the pulley can be used to move objects horizontally with less force.