Hypnotism: My Teen Experience & Beyond

• Thread starter Pocketwatch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of hypnotism and its potential effects on the mind and body. The speaker shares their experience of reading about hypnotism as a teenager and trying to hypnotize their siblings with no success. They then ask if anyone else has experience with hypnotism. The conversation continues with a discussion of whether hypnotism is real and if it is possible to learn how to hypnotize someone. The idea of being suggestible and willing during hypnosis is brought up, as well as the comparison to meditation and the term "mesmerize."
Pocketwatch
When I was a teen, I read a book about hypnotism that my parents had. I tried to hypnotise my sisters but it did not seem to work with them.
Anyone here had any experiences with hypnotism?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You had me right up to the 2nd paragrah. Hypnostism I can accept. Not an out of body experience. It is possible that the bruise came from her mind. Because if the mind makes it real, it is possible the body would register it as real. But it all seems a bit wild to me.

It is hard for me to believe too zantra.

Last edited:
Teach me how...

If all you are saying is true, can you teach me how to hypnotize someone? :)

the being being hypnotized needs to be both suggestible and willing at the time of the hypnotism.

see the exorcist for an example of a hypnotism. in a way, it's a form of meditation, an altered state of consciousness. in this state, you're supposedly more in touch with your subconsciousness. using that connection, you can find out more about yourself. and it is definitely possible to hypnotize yourself.

i like the old school term, mesmerize. i get mesmerized staring at a candle or by staring at math...

cheers,
phoenix

1. What is hypnotism?

Hypnotism is a state of focused attention and increased suggestibility in which a person is more receptive to suggestions and can enter a deeply relaxed state. It is often used for therapeutic purposes, such as helping people overcome fears or improve self-confidence.

2. Is hypnotism safe?

Yes, hypnotism is generally considered safe. It is a natural state that most people experience on a daily basis, such as when they are daydreaming or deeply engrossed in a book. However, it is important to only undergo hypnotism with a trained and licensed professional.

3. What can hypnotism be used for?

Hypnotism can be used for a variety of purposes, including improving memory and focus, reducing stress and anxiety, overcoming phobias, and changing unwanted behaviors or habits. It can also be used for entertainment purposes, such as stage hypnosis shows.

4. Can anyone be hypnotized?

Yes, most people can be hypnotized to some degree. However, the level of suggestibility may vary from person to person. Some people may be more resistant to hypnotism or may require more sessions to achieve the desired results.

5. What is the difference between hypnosis and hypnotherapy?

Hypnosis refers to the state of focused attention and increased suggestibility, while hypnotherapy is the use of hypnosis for therapeutic purposes. Hypnotherapy is often used to treat specific issues or conditions, while hypnosis can also be used for entertainment or self-exploration.