Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Publication of a New Proof of an Old Theorem

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Hello MHB,

Although chat room isn't meant for math related discussions I didn't any subforum better suited for my query.

Here's the thing.

Many times journals have published new proofs for well known theorems. Example the transcendence of $\pi$ or say the Hall's Marriage Theorem.

Suppose I find a new proof of some old theorem too. How would I make sure that my proof if actually new? Since before sending it for publication I'd want to be sure that I am not wasting anybody's time.

zzephod

Feb 3, 2013
Hello MHB,

Although chat room isn't meant for math related discussions I didn't any subforum better suited for my query.

Here's the thing.

Many times journals have published new proofs for well known theorems. Example the transcendence of $\pi$ or say the Hall's Marriage Theorem.

Suppose I find a new proof of some old theorem too. How would I make sure that my proof if actually new? Since before sending it for publication I'd want to be sure that I am not wasting anybody's time.
The one word answer is "Research".

The more wordy answer is first do the research as best you can. Then write it up with caveats in the introduction to the effect that you beleive it is a new proof ... Then send it off either to an appropriate journal and let the refrees give their opinions on its originality or send it to someone familiar with the field for their opinion.

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
if you want to reprove a theorem that is new , then it is easy to check because the data you will be looking for is conveniently small.
But if you want to reprove something that is too old , say , \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\) is irrational , then that is troublesome. Thats way for obtaining a Master degree , students look for topics that are new, hot and the realted research are easy to check so they can make a progress.