Psuedoscalar Mesons - why is there an eta and an eta prime?

In summary: So, while the quark model is a good starting point, it's not the end of the story. In summary, the pseudoscalar mesons have J^P = 0^-0^+0^-, and form a nonet: for S = ±1, I (isospin) = 1/2 and so there are two particles for each value of strangeness. This account for 4 particles: the ground-state Kaons.
bayners123
The pseudoscalar mesons have [itex]J^P = 0^-[/itex]

They form a nonet: for S = ±1, I (isospin) = 1/2 and so there are two particles for each value of strangeness. This account for 4 particles: the ground-state Kaons.
For S=0, I can be 0 or 1. I=1 gives a triplet: [itex]\pi^\pm \mbox{ and } \pi^0[/itex].

For S=0 and I = 0 however there are two particles: the [itex]\eta \mbox{ and the } \eta^\prime[/itex]

As far as I can see the eta and the eta prime have exactly the same characteristics. My question is: why is there an eta prime? All the other mesons seem justified by the quark model. Why are there two [itex]I^CJ^P = 0^+0^-[/itex] particles and what distinguishes them?

Physics news on Phys.org
η is an isospin singlet, but part of the SU(3) octet, while η' is an SU(3) singlet. The three states with Y = 0, I3 = 0 are:

π0 = (uu - dd)/√2
η0 = (uu + dd - 2ss)/√6
η'0 = (uu + dd + ss)/√3

Hmm ok thanks. I think I need to understand group theory better.

The quark states are in the representation space of the ##3## representation of SU(3), and antiquarks in the ##\bar{3}##. The mesons are states obtained by combining quarks and antiquarks, i.e. ##|q\rangle \otimes|\bar{q}\rangle## states. These states lie in the direct product of the ##3## and the ##\bar{3}## representation spaces. But this space separates into an octet and a singlet, ##3\otimes\bar{3}=8\oplus 1##, so the mesons consist of the octet (the pions, the kaons and the ##\eta##) and the singlet (the ##\eta'##).

It is like in quantum mechanics when you combine two particles with spin 1/2 - the Hilbert space for the "total spin" states ##|j,m\rangle## (where here ##j=0,1## and ##m=0## for ##j=0## and ##m=-1,0,1## for ##j=1##) in terms of group representations is the direct product space ##2\otimes 2=3\oplus 1##, it separates into a singlet and a triplet (denoting representations by their dimensionalities). Note that spin 1/2 corresponds to the ##2## representation of the group SU(2) which is the proper group here (and thus not SU(3) like for the mesons).

If I remember correctly it is actually even a bit more complicated since the isospin singlet state in the SU(3) octet and the SU(3) singlet state mix with each other.

Brilliant, thanks. I think I understand that better now. The one that still confuses me is how the hadrons break down as
[tex]\mathbf{3}\otimes\mathbf{3}\otimes\mathbf{3}=\mathbf{10}_S\oplus\mathbf{8}_M\oplus\mathbf{8}_M\oplus\mathbf{1}_A[/tex]

Where does this breakdown come from? That's rhetorical by the way; I'll go read a group theory book :)

You need 27, and you have a purely symmetric state (singlet), a purely antisymmetric state (decuplet) and 16 states of mixed symmetry. You can only do that with two octets.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that while group theory is fine for counting states, the actual particles are more complicated: neither the eta nor eta-prime is a pure SU(3) flavor singlet. Additionally, the mass of the eta-prime is much larger than its quark content would suggest.

Related to Psuedoscalar Mesons - why is there an eta and an eta prime?

1. What is the difference between an eta and an eta prime meson?

An eta meson and an eta prime meson are two different types of psuedoscalar mesons, which are particles made up of a quark and an antiquark. The main difference between them is their mass - the eta prime meson has a slightly higher mass than the eta meson.

2. How were the eta and eta prime mesons discovered?

The eta meson was first discovered in 1961 by a team of scientists at the University of California, Berkeley. The eta prime meson was discovered in 1974 by a team of scientists at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.

3. Why do we need both an eta and an eta prime meson?

The existence of both an eta and an eta prime meson helps to explain certain phenomena in particle physics, such as the strong interaction between quarks and the violation of CP symmetry. The mass difference between the two mesons also allows for more precise measurements and predictions in these areas.

4. What is the role of the eta and eta prime mesons in the Standard Model of particle physics?

Both the eta and eta prime mesons are included in the Standard Model as fundamental particles. They are a part of the larger group of mesons, which are important in understanding the strong nuclear force and the behavior of quarks.

5. Are there any other psuedoscalar mesons besides the eta and eta prime?

Yes, there are several other types of psuedoscalar mesons, including the pi meson, the kaon, and the D meson. These mesons all have similar properties and are also important in the study of particle physics.