PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics (sample consult)

In summary, John is working on a free textbook called Physics Syllabus Stage Six (PSSSix) with 9 chapters, the first of which is completed. The textbook does not have to comply with the Australian Curriculum and is intended to focus on Thermal Physics. John is seeking feedback on the suitability and accuracy of the content for high/secondary school students, but does not want the textbook to be used for teaching purposes at the moment due to potential errors. The conversation also reveals that John's project has been discussed by mentors, who question why he is taking on such a thankless task. John attributes it to "stupidity" and does not want to elaborate further.
shyjohn
Hi, my name is John and I am working on a textbook called Physics Syllabus Stage Six (PSSSix). I have done a draft of chapter 2, Thermal Physics. Although I have requested if this consultation is suitable for this forum, but yet been replied. This textbook
  • is free (online definitely) or not-for-profit (if printed)
  • has 9 chapters and this is the first finished
  • does not have to comply the Australian Curriculum (for high/ secondary school) syllabus, because I am intended to draw the picture of Thermal Physics.
However, my concern remains if the content is suitable for such students, and the accuracy of the contents. It would be helpful from your any feedback. In addition, I rather not be used for teaching purposes at this moment since it, although not that possible, has risk to teach with uncorrected textbooks.

Since there is no attachment can be provided (it is 11 MB large), I provide the link through http://www.shyjohn.net/ACEPHYSbook2review.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Mentors did discuss your request. The discussion led some of us to wonder why you would take on the thankless task of devising a text for classroom use?

Good luck with your project!

NascentOxygen said:
Mentors did discuss your request. The discussion led some of us to wonder why you would take on the thankless task of devising a text for classroom use?

Good luck with your project!

Thank you for your mentioning. I think the short answer is "stupidity does it all", but because I am not comfortable to make the long answer as an eyecandy. This distracts one to judge my work, but it is also a long story to tell.

Related to PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics (sample consult)

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and temperature and their relationship with energy and work.

2. What is the purpose of PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics?

The purpose of PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of thermal physics, including thermodynamics, heat transfer, and thermal properties of matter.

3. What topics are covered in PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics?

The topics covered in PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics include the laws of thermodynamics, thermal equilibrium, heat transfer mechanisms, and thermal properties of matter such as specific heat, thermal expansion, and thermal conductivity.

4. How can I use the knowledge from PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics in my everyday life?

The concepts and principles learned in PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics can be applied in everyday life, such as understanding and managing energy consumption, designing and improving heating and cooling systems, and understanding the behavior of materials under different temperature conditions.

5. Is PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics difficult to understand?

This may vary for each individual, but with proper study and practice, the concepts and principles in PSSSix Chapter 2 - Thermal Physics can be easily understood. It is important to have a solid foundation in basic physics and mathematics to fully grasp the concepts in this chapter.