PSI required to minimize air mattress displacement

In summary, air is a potential medium for the airbag, but it's not the best option if rigid support is needed.
thewolf5589
Hello--can anyone please help me estimate the PSI required in an air mattress to minimize or even prevent displacement if a person, say 220 lbs, walked across it?

Mattress material and wall thickness variable. Surface area variable.

Also, if scenarios where the person is standing still, walking (gently and or stomping), and jumping are considered, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You can't prevent displacement. To minimize: higher = better.

Hey Russ, thanks. I'm building a prototype for a pet project. I imagine it should be similar to an air mattress conceptually (inflates with air, similar construction) but it'll be different, so let's call it an airbag going forward.

Bear with me...Force exerted by a 250 lb man standing still is ~1110N. Assuming ~sz 12 shoes are worn, the pressure exerted is ~2.4 PSI when standing with both feet (and ~4.7 PSI when standing with one foot). Assuming the force is doubled from jumping, pressure exerted is ~4.7PSI with two feet and ~9.5PSI with one. So if airbag PSI > 9.5, displacement should be minimal from a 250 lb man?

Someone suggested water would be better to achieve my objective--so long as the airbag was constructed with firm material. Thoughts?

I don't entirely understand the question - if you really want minimum displacement then use a rigid block ? Some clarification of your basic problem would be helpful .

Calculation of pressure rise in an air bag under localised loading is not straightforward . Fitting a pressure gauge to some sample bag designs would be easier than attempting the calculations .

Stiffness of an air bag depends on it's geometry and construction . An inflatable mattress will behave in a different way to a balloon .

Stiffness of bag also depends on spread of the load . An air bag fitted with a rigid walkway is stiffer than a bare bag .

There might be alternative solutions using materials like foam rubber or using a mechanical construction .

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule
Hey Nidum, Thanks. I'm hoping to build a carpet that exists in two forms: flat and contoured. The airbag will rest beneath the carpet. For flat, the airbag will be deflated, and for contoured, it will be inflated. When inflated, the airbag will stretch the carpet away from the floor forming a gradual sloping bump, so based on this, I believe air to be the best medium but am surely open to suggestions. Also, can you think of a better word than contoured..?

While the airbag is inflated, I'm trying to determine how it'll be possible to walk on the carpet without transforming the airbag's shape and disturbing other areas of the carpet through air displacement.

To your point about geometry and construction, adding ribs acting as support to the airbag's interior will help, although when deflated, the airbag and ribs will need to be truly flat. Also, to your point about a rigid walkway, I suppose by placing the carpet on top, there's some additional support through load distribution.

The difficulty with air is that it is compressible, and if you use it to inflate something that has to be flexible, it's going to move around and compress. If you filled it with something that is not compressible, like water, then you'd only have to worry about it moving around, which may be easier to constrain.

Related to PSI required to minimize air mattress displacement

1. What is PSI and how does it affect air mattress displacement?

PSI stands for pounds per square inch and it is a unit of measurement for pressure. In the context of air mattresses, PSI refers to the amount of air pressure inside the mattress. The higher the PSI, the more air is compressed inside the mattress, resulting in less displacement when weight is applied.

2. How do I determine the optimal PSI for my air mattress?

The optimal PSI for an air mattress will vary depending on the brand and model. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for the recommended PSI. In general, a good rule of thumb is to aim for a PSI that provides enough support and comfort without overinflating the mattress.

3. Can using too much PSI cause damage to my air mattress?

Yes, using too much PSI can cause damage to an air mattress. Overinflating the mattress can put excessive pressure on the seams and can cause them to burst. It can also increase the risk of punctures or tears in the material.

4. Is there a specific PSI that will completely eliminate air mattress displacement?

No, there is no specific PSI that will completely eliminate air mattress displacement. Some displacement is inevitable when weight is applied to the mattress. However, using the recommended PSI can minimize displacement and provide the most comfortable sleeping surface.

5. Does the temperature affect the PSI required to minimize air mattress displacement?

Yes, the temperature can affect the PSI required to minimize air mattress displacement. As the temperature changes, the air inside the mattress expands or contracts, which can affect the pressure. It is important to check and adjust the PSI accordingly in different temperatures to maintain optimal support and comfort.

Back