PSC, current and Node Voltage Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear circuits midterm where the question required using node analysis to solve a circuit. The main topic of discussion is whether ib should be equal to -v2 or v2 according to the passive sign convention. One person believes it should be equal to v2, while the other person is unsure. The conversation ends with the understanding that -ib * 1 Ohm = v2.
Weird Fishes
First off, I apologize if this belongs under homework help. It’s kind of a grey area I suppose...

Anyway, I just finished my linear circuits midterm. One of the questions on the midterm had a circuit we needed to solve using node analysis. That’s not the question, though. I’ve crudely redrawn the circuit:
Circuit.png

I forgot to draw on the common node, but it’s the bottom one.

Now I thought, due to the passive sign convention, that ib would be equal to -v2, since ib is in the direction of a voltage rise (v=-bR == v2=-ib). The thing is though, ib=-v2 gives really ugly fractional results and ib=v2 gives really nice integer results. Also, the one person I’ve talked to so far said that ib=v2.

I may have gotten one or two of the resistors wrong redrawing it, but I know for a fact that the v2 to ground resistor was 1Ω.

So anyway, what is correct? (and if you could point out where I went wrong, that’d be great too =P)Usually the only things I get wrong are mathematical errors, but when it’s something fundamental like this I like to take a step back and make sure I have my concepts right. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Weird Fishes said:
First off, I apologize if this belongs under homework help. It’s kind of a grey area I suppose...

Anyway, I just finished my linear circuits midterm. One of the questions on the midterm had a circuit we needed to solve using node analysis. That’s not the question, though. I’ve crudely redrawn the circuit:
View attachment 21226
I forgot to draw on the common node, but it’s the bottom one.

Now I thought, due to the passive sign convention, that ib would be equal to -v2, since ib is in the direction of a voltage rise (v=-bR == v2=-ib). The thing is though, ib=-v2 gives really ugly fractional results and ib=v2 gives really nice integer results. Also, the one person I’ve talked to so far said that ib=v2.

I may have gotten one or two of the resistors wrong redrawing it, but I know for a fact that the v2 to ground resistor was 1Ω.

So anyway, what is correct? (and if you could point out where I went wrong, that’d be great too =P)Usually the only things I get wrong are mathematical errors, but when it’s something fundamental like this I like to take a step back and make sure I have my concepts right. Thanks in advance.

As drawn, -iB * 1 Ohm = V2.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. (obviously)

I guess we’ll see what happens when I get my midterm back...

Related to PSC, current and Node Voltage Analysis

1. What is PSC analysis and how is it used in circuit design?

PSC (Power System Component) analysis is a method used to evaluate the behavior of power system components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors in a circuit. It helps in predicting the performance and efficiency of the circuit, which is crucial in the design process. PSC analysis also helps in identifying potential faults and optimizing the circuit's design.

2. What is current analysis and why is it important?

Current analysis is the process of analyzing the flow of electric current in a circuit. It helps in understanding the behavior of the circuit components and their impact on the overall circuit performance. By analyzing the current, we can identify potential areas of improvement and ensure that the circuit operates within safe limits.

3. What is Node Voltage Analysis and how is it different from other analysis methods?

Node Voltage Analysis is a method of analyzing circuits by determining the voltage at each node or connection point in the circuit. It is different from other analysis methods such as mesh analysis and superposition as it focuses on the voltage rather than the current. Node Voltage Analysis is preferred for complex circuits with multiple voltage sources and is often the most efficient method for solving circuit problems.

4. What are the key assumptions made in Node Voltage Analysis?

The main assumptions made in Node Voltage Analysis are that the current entering and leaving each node is equal and that the voltage across each branch is proportional to the current flowing through it. Additionally, it assumes that the circuit is linear and that all components are ideal (i.e., have no resistance, capacitance, or inductance).

5. Can Node Voltage Analysis be used for circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, Node Voltage Analysis can be used for circuits with dependent sources. However, it requires some additional steps, such as using the principle of superposition to solve the circuit. It is important to properly identify and classify the type of dependent source (voltage or current) to apply the correct analysis method.