Proving x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance

• Thread starter durand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Invariance
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the invariance of x^2 - c^2t^2 under Lorentz transformations. The participants suggest replacing x and t with x' and t' and factoring out x^2 and t^2. They also mention taking out gamma and differentiating and substituting v, but note that these are special cases. Finally, they mention that this topic may be covered in an upcoming semester at university.
durand
How do you prove x2-c2t2 is invariant under the lorentz transformations given that;
78195e8f63116bf11b2bbef574fbcc25.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Ive tried the obvious replacing x and t with x' and t' but i still can't get it to drop out :(

durand said:
Ive tried the obvious replacing x and t with x' and t' but i still can't get it to drop out :(

In x'^2 - ct'^2, replace x' and t' be the expressions that you gave in the original post, and factor x^2 and t^2 out of terms in which they occur.

Try again. I just worked it out and found that c2t2-x2=c2t'2-x'2.

You need to prove that

[tex](x^{\prime})^2 - c^2 (t^{\prime})^2 = x^2 - c^2 t^2[/tex]

After substituting the Lorentz transformation on the left side, everything should eventually cancel out.

Thanks everyone! I didn't see that gamma could be taken out of the equation and cancelled. It works now :D

What you've done is a special case, in the general case, x^2-(ct)^2 is a constant and gamma does not cancel out, the calc is a bit rigorous then, you need to differentiate and substitute v

Ok, I'l definitely keep that in mind! Thanks.

Oops, mistake.No differentiation.The invariance yields directly by substituting LT.
I differentiated x^2-(ct)^2=k and substituted v , but that's again a special case when v is the velocity of the object in the unprimed frame

Mmm, ok. I think I might be doing that next semester at uni.

Related to Proving x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance

1. What is x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance?

x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance, also known as the spacetime interval, is a concept in special relativity that describes the relationship between space and time coordinates in different reference frames. It is a fundamental principle that states that the spacetime interval is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How is x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance proven?

x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance is proven using mathematical equations and transformations, such as the Lorentz transformation, which describe how spacetime coordinates change between different reference frames. By applying these transformations, it can be shown that the spacetime interval remains the same, thus proving its invariance.

3. Why is x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance important?

x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance is important because it is a fundamental principle in special relativity that explains the relationship between space and time. It helps us understand how measurements of space and time can vary for different observers, and it has important implications for our understanding of the universe.

4. How does x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance relate to the speed of light?

x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance is closely related to the speed of light, as the constant "c" in the equation represents the speed of light in a vacuum. This means that the spacetime interval is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion, as long as the speed of light remains constant.

5. Can x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance be violated?

No, x^2-c^2*t^2 invariance cannot be violated. It is a fundamental principle in special relativity that has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. Any violation of this principle would contradict our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.