Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

proving with addition and subtraction formulas: tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x)=tan(x-y)tan(y-z)tan(z-x)

Elissa89

Oct 19, 2017
tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x)=tan(x-y)tan(y-z)tan(z-x)

I have redone this problem two or three times and all the steps just make my head spin. I've tried looking up tutorials online but they introduce things into the problem that we haven't been taught yet and that just confuses me more. Help!

kaliprasad

Mar 31, 2013
tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x)=tan(x-y)tan(y-z)tan(z-x)

I have redone this problem two or three times and all the steps just make my head spin. I've tried looking up tutorials online but they introduce things into the problem that we haven't been taught yet and that just confuses me more. Help!
this follows from $A+B+C=n\pi=>\tan\, A+ \tan \, B + \tan\, C = \tan\, A \tan \, B \tan\, C$

if you want a proof of the above

$A+B+C=n\pi => A+B=n\pi-C$
take tan on both sides getting

$\frac{\tan\, A + \tan\, B}{1-\tan\, A \tan \, B} = -\tan\, C$
Or
$\tan\, A + \tan\, B = - \tan\, C + \tan\, A \tan \, B\tan\, C$
or
$\tan\, A + \tan\, B + \tan\, C = \tan\, A \tan \, B\tan\, C$

as (x-y) + (y-z) + (z-x) = 0 we get the result

DavidCampen

Apr 4, 2014
"this follows from
[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]A[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]+[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]B[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]+[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]C[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]n[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]π[/FONT]"

I don't understand. If A, B and C are arbitrary angles how can we know that their sum = $n\pi$

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
I don't understand. If A, B and C are arbitrary angles how can we know that their sum = $n\pi$
Nobody claims that $A+B+C=n\pi$ in general. On the contrary, we assume it. Kaliprasad meant that your equation follows from the fact that if $A+B+C=n\pi$, then $\tan A+ \tan B + \tan C = \tan A \tan B \tan C$.

Country Boy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 30, 2018
In your original post you were asking about tan(x-y)+tan(y-z)+tan(z-x). If A= x- y, B= y- z, and C= z- x, then A+ B+ C= x- y+ y- z+ z- x= 0 which is 0 times [tex]\pi[/tex].