Proving Wave-Particle Duality in Proton Twin Slit Experiment?

In summary, the two scientists have experimentally confirmed that single protons and neutrons can interfere with themselves and act like waves. This information might help to explain some of the strange behavior observed in experiments such as the twin slit experiment.
ianbell
Have single protons or neutrons or anything "bigger" been experimentally confirmed to "interfere with themselves" and "act like waves" the way single electrons and photons do, in experiments such as the twin slit expt?

All I have been able to find on this is the somewhat lame
http://www.fnal.gov/pub/inquiring/questions/double-slit.html.

TIA.

Physics news on Phys.org
ianbell said:
Have single protons or neutrons or anything "bigger" been experimentally confirmed to "interfere with themselves" and "act like waves" the way single electrons and photons do, in experiments such as the twin slit expt?

All I have been able to find on this is the somewhat lame
http://www.fnal.gov/pub/inquiring/questions/double-slit.html.

TIA.
Check out A. Zeilinger who has done interferences of fullerens (60-, 70- atoms), and W. Ketterle who interfered two condensates (10^5-10^6) of rubidium atoms.

I think questions like this come up due to issues with where the "quantum" or "classical" regime are. So I'll try to answer this question by answering that question.

From the standpoint of classical mechanics, the quantum regime occurs when

[tex]S = \int_{t_0}^{t_f} dt L(q, \dot{q},t) \sim \hbar[/tex]

that is, when the classical action gets on the order of a few integer multiples of [tex]\hbar[/tex]. This analysis fails for macroscopic quantum phenomena, such as superconductivity or superfluids.

From a quantum mechanical standpoint, the classical limit is achieved from the standpoint of the propagator by looking at

[tex] K \sim \int \mathcal{D}[q(t)] e^{i S/\hbar}[/tex]

Now, to obtain the classical limit from here, we look at [tex]\hbar \rightarrow 0[/tex]. From the stationary phase approximation (see Erdelyi, for example), we know that the path that contributes the most to the integral is that for which [tex] \delta S = 0 [/tex], that is, for stationary action. But that's just D'Alembert's principle, that

[tex] \delta S = \delta \int_{t_0}^{t_f} dt L(q, \dot{q}, t) = 0[/tex]

from which we obtain the Lagrange equations of motion. This is how one might try to get at the classical limit from the standpoint of path integrals. Unfortunately, again, it is very difficult to account for superconductors and other macroscopic quantum mechanical effects in this manner.

I think the key is to be able to look at the dimensional quantities that depend on [tex]\hbar[/tex], such as the correlation length or whatnot, that are intrinsic to the problem, and in the case where such dimensional considerations allow one to consider [tex]\hbar[/tex] to be very small, those problems exist in the "classical regime".

Crossover approximations such as WKB are themselves quite interesting, but I have to run off to an appointment now. Perhaps someone else could take that.

zbyszek said:
Check out A. Zeilinger who has done interferences of fullerens (60-, 70- atoms), and W. Ketterle who interfered two condensates (10^5-10^6) of rubidium atoms.

Thanks. Just what I wanted.

Related to Proving Wave-Particle Duality in Proton Twin Slit Experiment?

1. What is the Proton Twin Slit Experiment?

The Proton Twin Slit Experiment is a thought experiment that explores the wave-particle duality of matter, specifically protons, by sending them through a double slit and observing the resulting interference pattern.

2. How does the Proton Twin Slit Experiment demonstrate wave-particle duality?

When protons are sent through the double slit, they exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This can be seen by the interference pattern they produce, similar to that of waves, while also being detected as individual particles on the screen.

3. What does the interference pattern in the Proton Twin Slit Experiment tell us?

The interference pattern observed in the Proton Twin Slit Experiment tells us that protons, and other matter, can behave as both waves and particles. This challenges our classical understanding of matter and supports the theory of quantum mechanics.

4. Why is the Proton Twin Slit Experiment important?

The Proton Twin Slit Experiment is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and the strange behavior of particles on the quantum level. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and quantum computing.

5. Are there any variations of the Proton Twin Slit Experiment?

Yes, there are variations of the Proton Twin Slit Experiment, including the Electron Double Slit Experiment and the Photon Double Slit Experiment. These experiments use different particles, but all demonstrate the same wave-particle duality of matter.