Proving Uniqueness of a Set: A Logical Approach

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, proving the uniqueness of a set involves using logical reasoning to demonstrate that a set contains only one element or that two sets are equivalent. This can be done by showing that any other element or set must be equal to the original set, or by using mathematical or logical principles to demonstrate that the set is unique. This approach requires careful analysis and attention to detail, but can provide a rigorous and reliable method for proving the uniqueness of a set.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey again! (Blush)

I want to show that the set $\{ a, b \}$ is unique.That's what I have tried:

We suppose that $\{a,b\}, \ \{a,b \}'$ are sets, so that each of them has as elements $a$ and $b$ and only these ,and $\{a,b \} \neq \{a,b \}'$.

From the axiom of extensionality, there is, without loss of generality, a $x$, such that:

$$x \in \{a,b \} \text{ and } x \notin \{a,b \}'$$

But.. how can I continue? (Thinking) :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the two cases:

$x = a$
$x = b$

In general, every set $A$ satisfying $\forall x\;(x\in A\leftrightarrow P(x))$ is unique. Indeed, suppose that $A$ and $A'$ satisfy this property. Then for all $x$,
\[
x\in A\leftrightarrow P(x)\leftrightarrow x\in A'
\]
so by axiom of extensionality $A=A'$.

In this case, we are given $a$ and $b$ and $P(x)$ is $x=a\lor x=b$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
In general, every set $A$ satisfying $\forall x\;(x\in A\leftrightarrow P(x))$ is unique. Indeed, suppose that $A$ and $A'$ satisfy this property. Then for all $x$,
\[
x\in A\leftrightarrow P(x)\leftrightarrow x\in A'
\]
so by axiom of extensionality $A=A'$.

In this case, we are given $a$ and $b$ and $P(x)$ is $x=a\lor x=b$.

I understand.. (Nod) So, could I justify it like that?
Or should I consider firstly that the sets are not equal and find a contradiction, formulating it like that?

Suppose that $A$ and $A'$ satisfy the property $\forall x\;(x\in A\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b)$.

$A \neq A'$, so from the axiom of extensionality, $\exists x$, such that:

$$x \in A \text{ and } x \notin A'$$

But, since both sets satisfy the property:

$$x\in A\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b \leftrightarrow x\in A' \text{ that is a contadiction.}$$

So, the set $\{a,b \}$ is unique.

:confused:

evinda said:
So, could I justify it like that?
I hope so! :)

evinda said:
Or should I consider firstly that the sets are not equal and find a contradiction, formulating it like that?

Suppose that $A$ and $A'$ satisfy the property $\forall x\;(x\in A\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b)$.
Just a bit of nitpicking: the property you wrote does not mention $A'$, only $A$. You could say, "Suppose that $A$ and $A'$ satisfy the property $P(X)$ where $P(X)$ is $\forall x\;(x\in X\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b)$". Or just say explicitly: Suppose that
\begin{align}
&\forall x\;(x\in A\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b)\\
&\forall x\;(x\in A'\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b).
\end{align}

evinda said:
$A \neq A'$, so
The status of this claim — $A \neq A'$ — is unclear. Is it given? Are you proving it? Is it an assumption towards contradiction? The correct way is to say, "Assume (towards contradiction) that $A \neq A'$".

evinda said:
from the axiom of extensionality, $\exists x$, such that:

$$x \in A \text{ and } x \notin A'$$

But, since both sets satisfy the property:

$$x\in A\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b \leftrightarrow x\in A' \text{ that is a contadiction.}$$
You could do this, but I believe reasoning by contradiction is superfluous here and can be reduced to a direct proof. In fact, every direct proof can be framed as a proof by contradiction. Suppose we want to prove $S$ using the axiom $R\to S$. A direct proof would establish $R$ and then use the axiom. But it is also possible to say: Assume that $\neg S$ is true. Then the (contraposition of the) axiom implies $\neg R$. But we can prove $R$, which makes a contradiction; therefore, $\neg S$ was false and $S$ is true. But if we could indeed prove $R$, why was it necessary to assume $\neg S$? It is more direct to use the axiom.

In the case of the proof about pairs, let $P(x)$ be $x\in A\leftrightarrow x\in A'$. The axiom of extensionality says
\[
\forall x\;P(x)\to A=A'\qquad(*)
\]
which is $R\to S$ in the previous description. You need to show $A=A'$ so you assume towards contradiction that $A\ne A'$. Then (*) implies $\neg\forall x\;P(x)$, i.e., $\exists x\;\neg P(x)$. Take an $x_0$ such that $\neg P(x_0)$. But then you use the fact that $\forall x\;P(x)$ holds and instantiate $x$ with $x_0$ to get $P(x_0)$. This creates a contradiction with $\neg P(x_0)$, so the assumption $A\ne A'$ is false. But if you are using $\forall x\;P(x)$, why not combine it with (*) for a direct proof of $A=A'$?

Anyway, your proof is correct, but it makes some unnecessary steps. I assume you model your argument after the proof in https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?threads/12334/, which also uses reasoning by contradiction. That proof can be reduced to a direct proof as well.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I hope so! :)

Just a bit of nitpicking: the property you wrote does not mention $A'$, only $A$. You could say, "Suppose that $A$ and $A'$ satisfy the property $P(X)$ where $P(X)$ is $\forall x\;(x\in X\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b)$". Or just say explicitly: Suppose that
\begin{align}
&\forall x\;(x\in A\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b)\\
&\forall x\;(x\in A'\leftrightarrow x=a \lor x=b).
\end{align}

The status of this claim — $A \neq A'$ — is unclear. Is it given? Are you proving it? Is it an assumption towards contradiction? The correct way is to say, "Assume (towards contradiction) that $A \neq A'$".

You could do this, but I believe reasoning by contradiction is superfluous here and can be reduced to a direct proof. In fact, every direct proof can be framed as a proof by contradiction. Suppose we want to prove $S$ using the axiom $R\to S$. A direct proof would establish $R$ and then use the axiom. But it is also possible to say: Assume that $\neg S$ is true. Then the (contraposition of the) axiom implies $\neg R$. But we can prove $R$, which makes a contradiction; therefore, $\neg S$ was false and $S$ is true. But if we could indeed prove $R$, why was it necessary to assume $\neg S$? It is more direct to use the axiom.

In the case of the proof about pairs, let $P(x)$ be $x\in A\leftrightarrow x\in A'$. The axiom of extensionality says
\[
\forall x\;P(x)\to A=A'\qquad(*)
\]
which is $R\to S$ in the previous description. You need to show $A=A'$ so you assume towards contradiction that $A\ne A'$. Then (*) implies $\neg\forall x\;P(x)$, i.e., $\exists x\;\neg P(x)$. Take an $x_0$ such that $\neg P(x_0)$. But then you use the fact that $\forall x\;P(x)$ holds and instantiate $x$ with $x_0$ to get $P(x_0)$. This creates a contradiction with $\neg P(x_0)$, so the assumption $A\ne A'$ is false. But if you are using $\forall x\;P(x)$, why not combine it with (*) for a direct proof of $A=A'$?

Anyway, your proof is correct, but it makes some unnecessary steps. I assume you model your argument after the proof in https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?threads/12334/, which also uses reasoning by contradiction. That proof can be reduced to a direct proof as well.

I understand! (Nod) Thank you!We have that:

$$\forall x(x \in A \leftrightarrow x=a \vee x=b)$$
$$\forall x(x \in A' \leftrightarrow x=a \vee x=b)$$

From the above, we conclude that:

$$\forall x(x \in A \leftrightarrow x=a \vee x=b \leftrightarrow x \in A')$$

Does this imply that:
$$ \forall x(x \in A \leftrightarrow x \in A')$$

or do we have to prove it? (Thinking)

evinda said:
From the above, we conclude that:

$$\forall x(x \in A \leftrightarrow x=a \vee x=b \leftrightarrow x \in A')$$

Does this imply that:
$$ \forall x(x \in A \leftrightarrow x \in A')$$

or do we have to prove it?
Yes, this trivially implies $ \forall x(x \in A \leftrightarrow x \in A')$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Yes, this trivially implies $ \forall x(x \in A \leftrightarrow x \in A')$.

Great! (Smile) Thank you very much! (Clapping)

Related to Proving Uniqueness of a Set: A Logical Approach

1. What does it mean to "show that the set is unique"?

Showing that a set is unique means proving that there is only one possible solution or set of elements that satisfies a given condition or property.

2. Why is it important to demonstrate that a set is unique?

Demonstrating that a set is unique helps to ensure the validity and accuracy of any conclusions or solutions that are based on that set. It also allows for better understanding and analysis of the problem at hand.

3. What are some techniques for showing that a set is unique?

There are several techniques that can be used to show that a set is unique, including mathematical proofs, logical reasoning, and empirical evidence. It depends on the specific problem or question being addressed.

4. How can one be sure that a set is truly unique?

To be sure that a set is unique, one must carefully examine and analyze all possible solutions or sets that could meet the given condition or property. This may involve testing different scenarios or using various methods of verification.

5. Can a set be proven to be unique without any doubt?

It is possible to prove that a set is unique with a high degree of certainty, but it is not always possible to completely eliminate all doubt. In some cases, new information or evidence may arise that could potentially challenge the uniqueness of a set.