Proving U1=U2 When U1, U2, W are Subspaces of V

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
In summary, if U1, U2, W are subspaces of V such that V=U1 direct sum W and V=U2 direct sum W, then U2=U1.
gravenewworld
I have to prove or give a counter example to the statement if U1, U2, W are subspaces of V such that V=U1 direct sum W and V=U2 direct sum W, then U2=U1.

This is what I did: Let v be an element of V. Then v=v1+v2 for v1 an element of U1 and v2 and element of W and v=v3+v2 for v3 an element of U2. So v-v2=v1 and v-v2=v3. Therefore v1=v3. Hence U1=U2 since every vector in each subspace is the same.

I just feel like I am missing something to make my small proof 100% airtight. Should I mention somewhere that v is represented in a unique way since V=U1 direct sum W and V=U2 direct sum W?

Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
This is what I did: Let v be an element of V. Then v=v1+v2 for v1 an element of U1 and v2 and element of W and v=v3+v2 for v3 an element of U2. So v-v2=v1 and v-v2=v3. Therefore v1=v3.
Be careful, how do you know whether your v2 in the expression v=v1+v2 is the same v2 as the one in v=v3+v2?

I guess I could explicity write that v2 is the same vector in both situations.

Actually, doesn't v2 have to be the same for both situations since v is the same? Since V is a direct sum of both subspaces then v has a unique representation so v2, has to be the same right?

Yes, that's true. But I would write that out explicitly, it doesn't appear trivial to me. I'd use a basis of V to write v, then take those vectors that are in U1 to form a basis for U1, the rest will form a basis for W. Then the result follows from the uniqueness of the basis expansion.

Related to Proving U1=U2 When U1, U2, W are Subspaces of V

1. How do you prove that U1=U2?

To prove that U1=U2, we need to show that every element in U1 is also in U2, and vice versa. This can be done by showing that both U1 and U2 have the same number of elements, and that each element in U1 can be written as a linear combination of elements in U2, and vice versa.

2. What is the significance of U1, U2, and W being subspaces of V?

The fact that U1, U2, and W are subspaces of V means that they are all subsets of V and they satisfy the three properties of a subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector. This allows us to use the properties of subspaces to prove that U1=U2.

3. Can U1 and U2 be different dimensions and still be equal?

Yes, U1 and U2 can have different dimensions and still be equal. The key is to show that for every element in U1, there exists a corresponding element in U2 that can be written as a linear combination of elements in U1, and vice versa. This means that the dimensions of the two subspaces do not have to be the same for them to be equal.

4. Are there any specific techniques or methods for proving U1=U2?

There are several techniques and methods that can be used to prove U1=U2, such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive. The specific method used may vary depending on the specific problem and the individual's preference.

5. Why is it important to prove that U1=U2 when U1, U2, and W are subspaces of V?

Proving that U1=U2 when U1, U2, and W are subspaces of V is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the relationship between different subspaces. It also helps us to identify when two seemingly different subspaces are actually equal, which can be useful in solving linear algebra problems and in mathematical proofs.